PDA

View Full Version : Tank Almost Running-Pics and ?- Long

Uncle Boo
05/19/2007, 07:15 PM
I have the water high enough to flow into the overflows so I started my pump for the first time. It's been 10+ years since I had a tank and I don't remember my old one being this noisey. I think one of the problems are my return lines are above the sump water line and it sounds like Niagra Falls.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/Savure/Fish/DSCF0210.jpg

Should I extend the drains down under the waterline? Would I put an elbow of a T on the end of them? If an elbow which way should it face? I wanted to put some live rock on the eggcrate but the force of the water entering the sump seems pretty strong.

Are my durso pipes at the right level?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/Savure/Fish/DSCF0208.jpg

I don't know if you can see from this picture but the tops are just touching the bottom of my covers. I think they are quiet but it's hard to tell with the waterfall going on below.

Here is a shot of the pump side of the sump.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/Savure/Fish/DSCF0211.jpg

When I shut the pump off the water rises about even with the divider on the left. Water still drips down from one of the drain hoses so I think the durso pipe may not be seated perfectly but I haven't had any luck in stopping the drip.

I need to top off the tank the last 2 or 3". Do I start the pump and add water to the sump? The water level of the sump seems to stay at an even level. It goes down a bit when the pump first starts then level out. I hope I have sized the pump correctly. I don't have to throttle it back at all so I guess I'm good.

Another question. I measured, to the best of my ability, the amount of water I have added to the system. The tank is 120 and the sump is 28 but I only put in 110 gallons and maybe 5 more to top it off. That seems a little off.

One last shot of the sump test.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/Savure/Fish/DSCF0213.jpg

I guess once I iron the flow out you never turn off the return pump again?

Randall_James
05/19/2007, 07:48 PM
fill the system with the pumps OFF...
The sump water level with everything off is your concern. I fill my systems until there is about 2-3" left

How much flow are you running?
Yes put a down pipe or something else to get the discharge below the water level in the sump, T's or L's are up to you, some even run filter socks.

Uncle Boo
05/19/2007, 08:11 PM
The return pump is rated at 1190 gph. I have the main tank filled to about 1 3/4" from the top. It's the width of the band around the top of the tank. If I put in any more it starts to run into the sump. I guess that means it's as high as I should go?

The sump came with a sock that both pipes will fit in, that was my original idea and why I left them short. After everything was installed it was too hard to get the sock out so I left it out. It fits between the two black plenums and is 12" long. Maybe if I use that I can leave the hoses alone?

Randall_James
05/19/2007, 08:20 PM
I think you have too much flow... 120X5 = 600gph

what the concern is that if the system shuts down, the sump does not overflow. We are watching the sump level with pumps off and not the display.

I add water until the sump is 3" or so from full... Start the system and then put a mark on the sump (after levels have stabilized) as to what the "FULL" level is when the pumps are running. (Make sense?)

fry_school101
05/19/2007, 08:44 PM
It's soo preeety! All clean and new! Love it!

As for the noise, I had to take something to catch the water stream and turn it gently. IE I took a large rubbermade tupperware lid and tucked it under the stream so it made a slide for the water instead of having it crash down. It helped a lot. Skimmers (at least mine) aren't supposed to have the outputs submerged because it creates some back pressure which can potentially make things not work right.

Uncle Boo
05/19/2007, 09:05 PM
I checked the head loss calculator and I'm about 850 gph. It doesn't seem like a whole lot of pressure coming out of the return nozzles. Maybe because it's coming out of 4 it's not so strong?

The sump right now is 6" from the top. I should add some more water, turn the pump on, then mark the sump again? When water evaporates the water level in the sump will go down and I can keep it filled to my running full line?

Does the main tank always stay about 1 3/4 down from the top because of the overflows?

I think I'll continue this tomorrow after work when I have more time. I'm too chicken to turn everything on and let it run overnight. I'll never sleep.:o I saw a drip by the pump and now I'm getting paranoid and having second thoughts about this whole project. :eek2:

Randall_James
05/19/2007, 09:16 PM
IME 400Gph is about the minimum amount of flow, so at 200Gph or so, yea it is going to be weak. I would remove any splitters you have.

The tank will fill to a "running" level with the pumps on. As display fills up, the sump will drop. When it quits dropping, MARK IT... that is the "Full Line"

If there is a drip, fix it. They rarely get better and the salt makes it a mess later. (Teflon tape is a must on all connections and be generous)

SDiver
05/20/2007, 03:42 PM
also remember when you add rock and sand the water level in your sump will raise. i 'm also setting up a 120 tank. reading and seeing your sump picture have gave me some ideas. do you plan on added a refuge?

Uncle Boo
05/20/2007, 06:47 PM
I might add a refuge down the road but I don't have much room under there for one right now. I did extend the drain hoses a bit and now it doesn't sound like Niagra Falls anymore.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/Savure/Fish/DSCF0215.jpg

I do see a lot of bubbles coming out of the drain hoses but none of it makes it back into the tank. I'm waiting until my next day off, Wed., to turn everything on, heaters, powerheads, skimmer, setup ACJR, and leave it on. I want to be there in case anything happens.:eek:

I'm sure I will have to drain a lot of water out before I put any rock in. Which side of the sump would I out some rock in, the drain side that has a lot of turbulence or the pump side that is relatively calm?

PS- I'm still getting water draining down into the sump over an 8 hour period. Initially a lot runs down, then it will trickle on and off until my one overflow tube is almost empty. I removed the durso and reinstalled it and it's still the same. I guess there is no harm in this as long as I leave enough room in the sump to handle the water?

Randall_James
05/20/2007, 09:29 PM
Correct on the room in the sump, however best practice is to fix that leak just in case the overflow itself ever starts leaking, you could end up with 100G getting downstairs in a worst case... fix the overflow tube..