PDA

View Full Version : Bone Cutter Recomendation

abark
05/20/2007, 07:23 AM
I have this and it is completely rusted. www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DR-BS60&Category_Code=coralfrag (premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DR-BS60&Category_Code=coralfrag)

Is there a surgical quality device that will not rust? Where can I buy one?

Amazon4
05/20/2007, 07:26 AM
I got mine from Boston Aqua Farms. They work great. I always rinse and dry them them after use and they still look new.

JB NY
05/20/2007, 07:35 AM
I've had those same ones for years with no rust. Always rinse them afterwards and they do not rust.

corpsman
05/21/2007, 06:24 AM
I agree with the Boston Aqua Farms recomendation. I think they are like 12 bucks.

coralnut99
05/22/2007, 08:42 AM
The key is rinsing and wiping them dowm after you use them. Really no way around it. Even if the darn things were made out of pure nickel, the hinge screw would still rust out and bind them up.

saltyreefguy
05/27/2007, 12:10 PM
i bought mines at foster/smith the large cutters, it just doesn't have cutting bite pressure like a pair of good channel lock cutters, which seems to cut at the first cut. but the bone cutters when used it, i seem to not able get a grip on it, since the hands are wet, and end up damgaged the frag more..

fishnfst
05/27/2007, 05:52 PM
I've been using my set of klein cable cutters.. Probably not the best but they work for me.. It does do a little bit of crushing though.. It's nice becasue the frag doesn't slip away when you squeeze down on the handles..

Looks like these

http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/j63050.html

IslandCrow
05/27/2007, 09:18 PM
I just went to Lowes and got a pair of Husky brand cutting pliers. I've been using them for at least 6 months, and they seem to be almost entirely rustproof. They do bind up after awhile, so I have to work them out a bit before I use them these days, but still not a spec of rust (nickel plated I believe). Here's a link to what I'm talking about. It's the one in the lower right:

http://www.huskytools.com/Product.aspx?pid=8c547f9e-e133-4dcc-b769-fbe5cb57a3bf&cid=790934

Opcn
05/28/2007, 12:54 PM
Abark, Surgical steel is high carbon, all high carbon steel rusts, if they alloy it with chromium to make it rust proof it becomes soft and gets dulled. Just take care of your tools and you won't have to deal with rust. I'm sure that there is some sort of oil that you could use, maybe castor or palm cernal oil, thatis reef safe and will help hold rust at bay.

fishnfst
05/29/2007, 08:59 PM
I let stuff rust up then I just leave it soaking in a saltwater bath.. Just teh hinged portion. They never freeze up that way.. It does cut down on their useable lifespan though.. But they never freeze up... Just rinse them before you use them to cut a frag then right back into the cup they go...

Opcn
05/30/2007, 04:24 PM
fishnfst no offense but that sound like a really dumb idea. Nohing about sitting in salt water would prevent a joint from freezing up, however, maintaning a tool properly absolutely would prevent itfrom locking up.