PDA

View Full Version : Bangaii Cardinalfish Breeding

firebirdbandit
05/20/2007, 10:50 AM
I notied in an article I just read that It says that the eggs hatch around 19 to 20 days and the male keeps them for an additional 6 to 10 days. I thought I read somewhere that they hatch in 15. My questions is this Thursday 5/24 will mark 15 days since they were laid. I am going away for the weekend and I want to make sure I can keep the male in the main tank over the weekend. I want to move the male into a 10 gallon a few days prior to hatch release. Any advise. The temperature of the tank is 80 degrees F and the female is in the same tank as him. Thanks, Brad

FMarini
05/20/2007, 09:53 PM
Brad-
can you point out the article you cite? 19 days. This is incorrect, the banggai fry hatch around days 12 and directly develop into young fish oveer the next 10+ days, the males hold for approx 20-30 days, w/ my fish average approx 20-25 holding time since the 1st day he refused food

papagimp
05/21/2007, 11:20 AM
This incubation and hatching times may vary widely depending on certain outside perameters. I have add batches hatch at 15 days and I've seen em not hatch until 25 days, on all my batches, they were released 3-5 days post hatching and on a few occasions, the male released over the course of a few days. In my situation, I was able to shorten these times down some by keeping them a tad warmer, about 80f, before that they were kept around 76f and had longer hatching times. Just fyi

firebirdbandit
05/22/2007, 10:04 AM
According to the Manual for the Production of the Banggai Cardinalfish, Pterapogon kauderni, in Hawaii by Steve Hopkins, Harry Ako and Clyde S. Tamaru it states this "In summary, development of the larvae takes place over the course of 19 to 20 days at which time hatching occurs. However the larvae are not immediately released into the water column after harching but remain in the male's mouth for an additional six to ten more days. "

FMarini
05/22/2007, 01:16 PM
Fire bandit-
thanks for the reference. Yes they are correct, the "development" of these larvael fish from hatching to release takes approx 19-25 days, however "hatching" occurs much eariler, around day 10-12. By day 15-18 you see little fishy eyeballs and stuff.

papa- you also state that hatching occur much later- again you mean development and release? dont' you see little banggais the daddies mouth around day 20 even thou they are not released

papagimp
05/23/2007, 06:15 AM
Actually, I have seen a mouthful of eggs around day 20 before. I have also seen them a bit earlier than that, and a bit later than that. Out of the 8 or 9 spawnings that my pair have done, the hatch times, release time, and growth rates have been very variable from one spawning to the next. There were also many changes performed over this course of time, temperature adjustments, tank relocations, water parameter changes, ect. ect. Makes it difficult to determine the exact cause of why some hatchings did not occur till much later.

XMASTER
06/14/2007, 06:29 PM
Hi I have a Question I had my Spotted Cardinalfish spwan the other night I got a few a the fry but don't know what to feed them. I had them in a 5 gal tank with air stone greenwater and Rotifers. That did not work they died after 3 days. Any ideas how to keep my next batch alive would help.

Thanks
X