PDA

View Full Version : Pump Size for a Closed loop

roxsburyrage
05/20/2007, 03:02 PM
Hey Guys I have all my closed loop tubing together was wondering which size pump I should go with.I was using a mag 18 a long time ago and had some problems with noise.I think the pvc pipe was too smal to draw enough water from the tank to keep up with it.Anyone one with Ideas what I should use on a 90 gallon reef ready tank.Thanks

xreefermadnessx
05/20/2007, 03:11 PM
have you thought of an iwaki? ive also heard good things about the T4

chip721
05/20/2007, 10:49 PM
I have a Panworld 50px-x pushing an Oceans Motions Squirt on the CL of my 90g (pics in my gallary). But your pump selection is really a personal choice, how much turnover you're trying to achieve, and your unique plumbing setup.

frederickk
05/25/2007, 10:53 AM
I'm using a DArt pump right now on my CL and like it.

papagimp
05/25/2007, 11:21 AM
Since you already completed the plumbing part, you're kinda limited to an extent on pump size, other than that, pump choice would also kinda depend on how much flow you are trying to achieve with the CL.

chase33
05/25/2007, 11:27 AM
How much flow do you have going to you tank now and how much are you looking to achieve?

CMcNeil
05/25/2007, 11:34 AM
if you have the right size plumbing(1"outlets and 2" inlet)id get a dart,i have one on my 90g and i love it.great flow,low watts,and quite running.

roxsburyrage
06/26/2007, 05:53 PM
Well right now I have a center Wave 2k box plus my mag 9.5 for the overflow.I dont know the true flow rate of the Wave 2k.It works well but does make some noise plus takes up some space in my 90.I think my problem I had before was that mag drives dont make great closed loop pumps when trying to get high flow through them. It was too noisy. .I had a 18 and a mag 24.I dont really know exactly the flow I am looking for .I just want something that is enough to put just about any coral so I dont really need to upgrade.I guess I am asking what flow rate should I be looking for in a 90 gallon also.I know higher is better.I have the two pipes facing each other so the flow goes into the middle and hits each other.

roxsburyrage
06/26/2007, 05:53 PM
Well right now I have a center Wave 2k box plus my mag 9.5 for the overflow.I dont know the true flow rate of the Wave 2k.It works well but does make some noise plus takes up some space in my 90.I think my problem I had before was that mag drives dont make great closed loop pumps when trying to get high flow through them. It was too noisy. .I had a 18 and a mag 24.I dont really know exactly the flow I am looking for .I just want something that is enough to put just about any coral so I dont really need to upgrade.I guess I am asking what flow rate should I be looking for in a 90 gallon also.I know higher is better.I have the two pipes facing each other so the flow goes into the middle and hits each other.Do guys think that is a good idea.

pezcubano
06/26/2007, 09:06 PM
I'm a believer in not relying on your return pump for all of your flow. If you keep the flow through your sump low (around 5x) you can stick to a smaller pump (less watts/heat) and make up whatever other flow you need with powerheads.
If you are big into plumbing you can put together a great setup and run much more than 5x through your sump, but its really up to you.
I'm going with powerheads (buying them tonight)