PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with settings for Canon Rebel!!!

Appaloosa1224
05/20/2007, 03:52 PM
So I've been reading a book on the Canon Rebel XT and trying to figure out aperture, ISO, and shutter speed but can't get good pictures still. In fact most are completely black or very dark.

Let me see if I get this: The smaller the f-stop number, the more light reaches the sensor. So where should i set it for reef tanks?

I feel like I need a shorter shutter speed to deal with the movement in a tank, but I read in another thread that this is not necesarily the case. And what ISO should I use? I can't figure it out on these "creative zones." I can get pretty good pictures using the basic zones but want to experiment! Any other tips or tricks?

I gotthese just using basic modes:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/Appaloosa1224/IMG_3234.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/Appaloosa1224/IMG_3239.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/Appaloosa1224/IMG_3235.jpg

BlueCorn
05/20/2007, 05:40 PM
Since you're new at this you're best bet is to use Aperture priority (Av). The higher the number the more "depth of field" your image will have. The lens will also pass less light so you'll need to adjust the ISO to raise the shutter speed if things are moving around on you.

You should also be using a tripod and turn off your pumps for the best results.

t5Nitro
05/20/2007, 06:33 PM
I am going to have the same problem when my 30D comes in I'm sure, this is my first DSLR camera.

I asked what all the settings are and do and how to adjust them for a reef, didn't really get a reply on what to put the settings at, but I did get this website, take a look. :D

http://www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons/index.html

Cultivatedcoral
05/20/2007, 09:06 PM
In lower light use the Av setting and a tripod. You have to adjust the shutter speed and just play around. The slower the sound of the shutter the more light it will let in which means you can take shots in lower light and they will still come out.

Just play around with it. Also, I'm not sure what lens your using. If it's the stock lens 55mm your not gonna get those crazy closeups you see around here. I have and I recommend the Canon 100mm macro lens for excellent macro shots.

You still have nice photos though!

Cultivatedcoral
05/20/2007, 09:16 PM
Here is a pic with my 100mm macro lens from Canon. Not the greatest shot but you get the picture. No pun intended. haha

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/goldwindow53/garfpurplebonsai.jpg?t=1179717303

jeffbrig
05/21/2007, 07:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9980086#post9980086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Appaloosa1224
So I've been reading a book on the Canon Rebel XT and trying to figure out aperture, ISO, and shutter speed but can't get good pictures still. In fact most are completely black or very dark.

Let me see if I get this: The smaller the f-stop number, the more light reaches the sensor. So where should i set it for reef tanks?

I feel like I need a shorter shutter speed to deal with the movement in a tank, but I read in another thread that this is not necesarily the case. And what ISO should I use? I can't figure it out on these "creative zones." I can get pretty good pictures using the basic zones but want to experiment! Any other tips or tricks?

Learn about EXPOSURE. First, you need to understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, and ISO setting. These three together determine your exposure, but they affect other attributes of the shot.
Av => depth of field (low number = shallow, high = more depth)
Shutter => motion freeze or blur
ISO => higher values increase photo graininess

If pictures are coming out black, you are severely underexposing. The light meter readout on the camera (the bar that ranges from -2 to +2 when you depress the shutter halfway) indicates how the camera thinks the picture will come out. (But the camera isn't always right, more on that below)

In general, I recommend starting with 100 or 200 ISO. Pick the aperture you want for the depth of field you're trying to create. Low numbers give a very shallow depth of field, with lots of background blur. This may be good or bad depending on what you're trying to set up as your subject. Then, select a shutter speed to get proper exposure. If the shutter speed isn't fast enough to avoid blur, you'll need to go to a higher ISO or larger aperture to allow you to go to a faster shutter speed. Most of the time, it's a compromise unless you're in very bright lighting.

In an aquarium, I find it best to set the exposure to where the camera thinks it is underexposing: -2/3 or even -1 on the meter, since the camera tends to make tank shots a bit overbright.

Getting the exposure correct is the primary technical aspect of photography. Then there are the aesthetic consideration. There are multiple combinations of exposure settings that will result in the same exposure, but with vastly different characteristics. Say you're taking a picture at aperture f/2.8, with a shutter of 1/1000. That's the same as f/4, 1/500. Or f/5.6, 1/250. Or even f/22, 1/15. Any of these combinations of aperture and shutter pick up th same amount of light. However, they'll be very different pictures. The one at f/22 will show significantly more detail in the background, while the one at f/2.8 will probably blur everything in the background away, isolating the subject.

A great read that illustrates all of these exposure concepts is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. An old film photographer, he does a great job explaining the relationships between the 3 settings, and shows sequences of the same shot illustrating the effects of changing each. For about $15, it's a cheap way to improve your photo taking skills if you're venturing into "M".

Here's a link to the book at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-3213141-5996856?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179752194&sr=8-1

jeffbrig
05/21/2007, 07:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9980829#post9980829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by t5Nitro
I am going to have the same problem when my 30D comes in I'm sure, this is my first DSLR camera.

I asked what all the settings are and do and how to adjust them for a reef

That's because it's an enormous question, extremely difficult to answer in a short post. :D