PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas for plumbing this protein skimmer.

stillcity
05/20/2007, 08:22 PM
I am planning an in-sump installation of this skimmer I got from a friend who never set it up. I plan on powering it with a mag 7 pump. I tried to get an idea of what I need to do from checking out pics on the web but I have a hard time trying to figure out where things go and which direction the flow is supposed to be. If someone could explain this or draw something crude in paint to explain how this one should be plumbed I would greatly appreciate the help. I was planning on using PVC but will be willing to take other suggestions as well.

Thanks.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/77212skimmer.jpg

stillcity
05/20/2007, 09:24 PM
My biggest confusion is the inputs and outputs of the 3 lower ports. Where does the mag 7 output go? Does the input of the mag 7 come from the sump or one of the skimmer's ports? How does sump water flow in and out of the thing. Is the top grey port where I funnel the "dirt" out into a milk jug?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

stillcity
05/21/2007, 05:38 AM
If no one has any ideas does anyone recognize what model it is? There are no visible markings on the skimmer itself.

Thanks

fuzzyt
05/21/2007, 06:32 AM
I'm not a skimmer expert, but this looks like it might be a recirculating skimmer. The bottom port with elbow facing down would be the output for the cleaned water. The two ports left on the reaction chamber would be for a pump, although I'm not sure what size. The flow should go from the bottom port to the top port. It appears there is already a venturi on the lower of the ports to add bubbles. The grey upper port on the neck would be your input from a pump in your sump or gravity feed from the overflow on the display.

Best of luck! :)

markandkristen
05/21/2007, 06:46 AM
might want to ask this on the do it yourself forum. you can look at some of their do it yourself skimmer.
this looks like a venturi skimmer .. i have a needle wheel so not much help .. i would imagiine that you turn the elbow downward to hook up your pump the one next to the bottom not the one closest to the bottom.

after trying to rig things in this hobby ....if your not sure. your probably better off just spending the 170 on a euro reef rs-80 from marinedepot and call it a day.

1F2FRFBF
05/21/2007, 09:18 AM
Here's a pic of a recirculating skimmer that might give you a better idea - looks like all the ports match up pretty closely.

http://www.championlighting.com/pics/proskimmerpics/RPS3000.jpg

Lowest fitting will be your outlet, and it looks like you might be having to add a standpipe of sorts. Middle fitting with the little clear hose coming out of it will be the inlet from your Mag 7. Not sure what the little top fitting does.

Have fun playing with it! Hope it works out for you.

stillcity
05/21/2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks 1F2 I've seen this picture before and this one added to my confusion. If the bottom port is the outlet then how is new water introduced to the system? The standpipe coming out I am assuming has some sort of pump at the top to pull the water?

1F2FRFBF
05/21/2007, 10:25 AM
Can you clarify what you mean by "new water introduced to the system"? Do you mean how water is introduced to the skimmer system, or how water is introduced to the system as a whole?

stillcity
05/21/2007, 10:39 AM
The question is how "to-be cleaned water" makes it from the sump into the skimmer and then clean water out of the skimmer.

1F2FRFBF
05/21/2007, 12:47 PM
OK, lessee if I can explain this. I'm sorry, I have little to no talent for using Paint, so best I can do is number the inlets and tubes and stuff and hopefully this will be somewhat helpful.

Red numbers, 1 through 7.

Blue box is your Mag pump.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/148207skimmer_diagram.jpg

Your skimmer and pump will be sitting in your sump (almost poetic, ain't it?). Your pump has an inlet and an outlet.

#1 is the pump's inlet - don't have to do a thing with this except let it sit underwater in your sump.

#2 is the pump's outlet. This will be where the unskimmed water will flow from the pump into the skimmer.

#3 is where the water comes from the pump outlet (#2) into the skimmer. But here's the tricky part - methinks there's an assembly missing that should attach #3 to #4, with a tee-off to #2. Give this a look: http://www.islandaquatics.com/product_detail.php?category_id=7&product_id=94

#5 is just an air line. It should clip in at #6. No need to worry about that.

#7 is where the clean skimmed water outlets to the return section of your sump. Not sure if you need a standpipe, actually.

Try a search on counter-current skimmers, if you haven't already. Hope this helps a little...

stillcity
05/21/2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the help. This is what I had envisioned except I had seen pics on the internet with something that had 3 going into 1 and 2 going out from the pump into 4. But if that was the case you had no way for new water to enter the system.

stillcity
05/21/2007, 05:51 PM
Based on what you said here is what I put together so far. I haven't glued it together yet since I wanted to test it out. The water swirls around pretty good but no where near to the upper region. Is this a mistake a I made or is it only because I was running it in fresh water with no nasties in it?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/77212skimmer_plumbing.jpg

fuzzyt
05/21/2007, 06:14 PM
Do you see a lot of bubbles in it? You may need a valve between the pump and #4 to restrict flow. The venturi has to have some pressure behind it to suck the air in and if #4 is wide open, then the venturi might not work.

stillcity
05/21/2007, 06:34 PM
I'm seeing a good bit of bubbles coming out of 3. But it won't reach the top chamber.

I can try to put a ball valve in front of 4 to see if that changes things.

stillcity
05/21/2007, 07:09 PM
Here is a picture of it running. As you can see there is good circulation but nothing makes it to the top chamber.

When I restricted the top port it did not seem to help. when the bottom output was restricted somewhat the water level rises but the bubbles stop so.

If this looks normal(or not) to anyone please let me know.

I have a friend moving in 2 weeks and he is giving me livestock and I need to get something running quick. If this will work I'll be happy and can work on optimizing it later.

Thanks for all of the advice

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/77212skimmer_running.jpg

1F2FRFBF
05/21/2007, 07:32 PM
If you're running it with fresh water you won't see much bubbling. That'll happen with the salt water. FYI, if you need to clean it, run it with a gallon or two of distilled white vinegar for a couple hours. Friend of mine did this for his skimmer and it worked great.

OK, now that it looks like you know what you're doing (cool!), let's address the assembly between 3 and 4. It will probably need some sort of restrictor valve there - see if you can locate a small gate valve to put in there rather than a ball valve. Gate valve is a little easier to fine tune. It'll be the way you control the amount of air/water mix so your skimmer isn't constantly running full throttle. Most of them running wide open will tend to introduce too much water to the skimmer, and it will overflow the collection cup. After you get everything installed for real, you'll have to do some fine tuning.

Are you having fun yet? :D

stillcity
05/21/2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I need to go with what I have for now

I think I might make one of those project threads so people can yell at me for all the mistakes I'm sure I'll make.