PDA

View Full Version : Help me PLEASE

ocnluvr
05/20/2007, 11:43 PM
I'm "new" to the reef tank, 3 years, but finally doing it right. I have questions. Can u have nitrates with no nitrites and what keeps a tube anemones alive?

jenajet
05/21/2007, 12:10 AM
Yes try and keep it under 20 . Feed the tube anemone mysis and good lighting.

Hormigaquatica
05/21/2007, 12:14 AM
Yes, its tough to eliminate nitrates totally; few people actually do it and are quite successful with their reefs.

But, there are obvious limits. 20 is a max IMO. You probably want under 10. Preferably no phosphate. Stable pH, KH, salinity, and temp.

As jenajet noted, feeding is important with Cerianthids. They need deep sand beds to comfortably burrow into, and lots of food. They are not true anemones and do not depend heavily on lighting, but do need plenty to filter feed off of.

ocnluvr
05/21/2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks. My PH, KH, salinity and temp is very stable and my lighting is amazing they still keep dying, but I dont have sand.

Hormigaquatica
05/21/2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah, without sand, they will die. The must be able to bury their tubes into fairly deep, preferably small grained/silty sand. Its also easy to starve these to death, as they are not light dependent. Interesting animals, but with enough specialized requirements that theyre not one I suggest to many people.