PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on electrical outlet mess

jwheeler
05/21/2007, 12:15 AM
Embarrassed and guilty to say this, but my electrical situation is way out of control. I have a 180g, and I've got so many things plugged into 3 surge protectors in 2 different outlets. I know thats a big no-no; and I want to fix it.

My question is, what do I need to have done. I want to have an electrician come over and do the work, but I live in a small town, and they prob haven't seen a saltwater tank before and might not know whats best. So what are some things that I need to have done?

Do I need the tank to run on its own circuit separate from the house? I would like it do that there is no cables and power strips on the ground, cause I have a baby coming, what is the best way to accomplish this?
My tank is in the middle of the living room, not in a separate room or anything.

Thanks for any ideas!

Tang Salad
05/21/2007, 12:43 AM
You could have a dedicated circuit, with GFCI protection, added to your main circuit braker.

That's a start!

Bandsaw
05/21/2007, 06:48 AM
Is your display tank, sump & fuge all in one area or are they if different spaces (seperate water room)? Reason I ask, is, if possible, I would put your display on one circuit (GFCI Protected), your sump on another circuit and your fuge on another. That way, should your GFCI trip for what ever reason on one component of your system, the other two will not be affected. Just a little easier on the tank if you are gone for the weekend and your "Master" GFCI trips leaving your tank still. Not to mention that the three circuits will help distribute the energy load.

Other than that, the bigest thing is neatness. If your electrician can build you a rack of plugs (wishen I had pictures) and everything is tied up nice and neat, including your drip loops, then electrically there should not be a problem.

I'd show you pictures of my mess (water room, my display upstairs is tied up all nice and neat), but I am a bit ashamed of it myself - although I do have three seperate circuits :)

jwheeler
05/21/2007, 10:14 AM
Bandsaw - Yeah its all together in one room. Wish you had pictures of a rack too so I could show them the idea of what I want.
Show me pics anyway of your setup, maybe it will give me a start.

Thanks!

Bandsaw
05/21/2007, 12:52 PM
Click on my little red house for all my tank and water room pictures.

Moving the sump downstairs was the best move that my Wife and I made. Other than the sound of the fans on my MH lights, the tank is dead silent. The sump noise before was driving us bats. Having everything downstairs opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for me as well.

If you are going to have an electrician run the circuits for you, I would just explain to him what you want and I am sure he would have a dozen ideas on how to make it nice. Personally, I would have him run at least two independent 15A circuits to the tank. It would give you the energy capacity that you are looking for and still give you two independent GFI circuits should one trip while you are gone. Just arrange to have circulation and heating split between the circuits.

As to the distribution after the plug-in, I use heavy duty 2 to 6 plug-in adaptors/surge arresters that simply plugs into the wall outlet. I use a combination of tie wraps and Velcro cords organizers and p-clips to tie everything up nice and neat. Mind you, I swear at it every time I need to take a pump apart to clean it. I suppose that is why I am not concerned about the cords in the basement as I am with the display.

That is you and the wife in your avatar? Or is it the way around?

jwheeler
05/22/2007, 12:07 PM
Yeah thats us. Got married in Vegas