PDA

View Full Version : filter question please

khoivo1
05/21/2007, 07:40 AM
just wonder if my filter is enough for my aquarium or do i need ,,like refugium or canister filter?? or anything else
here what i have
ok a 90g accrylic tanks with buildin filter which is water suck out from tanks and run down to a stack of form pad and run out to sump with tuzn skimmer in there and also the water pump is in the sump also to pump water back up to the tanks,,that is all i have,,for filter,,,i just wonder if that enough or not so please help i just want to make sure before i add any fish in there,,thanks

Shagsbeard
05/21/2007, 09:29 AM
Your filter is that 80lb (you should fix the typo in your sig) of live rock... and that's not enough for a 90 gal. You should be up about 140lbs or so for it to be sufficient to filter. Your sump sounds like a basic wet/dry filter which is ok, but tends to create more nitrate than your biological filter can handle. That's fine for a fish tank, but can be detrimental for some of the more fussy corals/inverts.

I'd put in about 50lbs of base rock and allow it to culture, unless you're looking to increse biodiversity in which case get some more live rock.

In terms of adding fish, go slow. Plan on taking the first year to slowly accumulate stock. I thought I was going slow enough and I wasn't. I'm starting over again as soon as I can, but if I had to do it over again I would do it much more slowly and with propper quarentine.

UnderCoverDork
05/21/2007, 10:52 AM
You can buy a phos ban reactor and run chemipure and rowaphos..works great for me