PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if a Pagoda cup is dead

mramc3
05/21/2007, 12:29 PM
How can you tell if a pagoda cup has bit the big one? Does it lose its color. I have two that have been in a tank and the polyps have not extended over 6 months at least. They still have a purplish/teal color about them, just no polyp extension.

When I tranferred them to a new tank, they emitted their slime. Any help for care would be greatly appreciated. Right now they are under 175W MH 20k. Before that, they were under a 400W MH 20K (still no polyp extension back then either).

Sheol
05/21/2007, 01:12 PM
Sounds dead to me. The only purplish color I got on mine is where tissue recceeded from a Rhodactis burn. And unless stressed, I've never seen Turbinaria pellata not have good & obvious polyp extension.

Sorry, but I think its gone to the Big Reef in The Sky,

Matthew

Frick-n-Frags
05/21/2007, 03:22 PM
if the flesh is all gone leaving just a bare white skeleton, it is dead

davjbeas
05/21/2007, 04:32 PM
They are still alive. If it is a bone white skeleton it is dead.
Mine was the same way before I sold it.
Good luck,
david

Bender
05/21/2007, 08:29 PM
Is there something in the tank picking on it? I had an angel that was picking on mine and the polyps were retracted all the time. Within two days after removing the angel it was back to its happy extended self. It acted the same way when a mushroom was stinging it.

mramc3
05/22/2007, 05:31 PM
the tank that it came from had a flame angel picking at the polyps. Both cups are not white. They still have color. The larger of the two has been sitting in my tank for about 4 days. I am starting to see the tips of the polyps trying to come back out.

The second, like I said, still has color. I am trying to see if I can get it back to life. I plan to dose with calcium, strontium and some iodine. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for the replies.

Jeff

TriniStylez
05/22/2007, 05:46 PM
Mine did not extend its polyps for about 3 months when I had nitrate issue but once that was resolved it was fully extended again. Like others said, if its not white, its still alive...

mramc3
05/22/2007, 11:27 PM
thanks for the info. ill keep everyone posted on progess.