PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Question

IkevinI
05/21/2007, 01:00 PM
So within the next two weeks I will be upgrading from a 38 sps dominate reef to a 65 gallon sps dominated reef. I will using all of the live rock between 80-100# and sand about 80# from the established system. I will only be adding another 30# of live sand. I will use some of the water from the old tank and then use a good deal of fresh saltwater.

My question is that if I am transferring all the established rock and sand from the old tank will there be a nitrate cycle that I need to wait for prior to adding my corals, fish and other misc live creatures?

alan214
05/21/2007, 01:27 PM
If you were just using your old liverock, you'd be fine. By disturbing your existing sandbed, you'll probably be releasing a lot of trapped detritus and other toxins that could not only cause a mini-cycle but may poison the entire tank.

Your first option would be to save just a cup of the original top layer of your sandbed and then THOROUGHLY rinse out the rest of the sand. The other way to go is start with completely new sand and seed it with a cup of the top layer of your original sandbed.

IkevinI
05/21/2007, 02:00 PM
If I were to start with a entirely new sand bed and seed with a small portion of the top layer would I go through a mini-cycle?

alan214
05/21/2007, 02:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9985478#post9985478 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IkevinI
If I were to start with a entirely new sand bed and seed with a small portion of the top layer would I go through a mini-cycle?

It should be minimal at the worst; nothing like cycling new liverock. As always, you should monitor with a good ammonia and nitrite test kit.

mg426
05/21/2007, 02:38 PM
I would think you will be AOH.

IkevinI
05/21/2007, 03:13 PM
mg426 is that supposed to be AOK? :)

I will prob go ahead and put new sand and in the tank and begin my framing for my aquascaping and add some of the larger base pieces of my live rock and then once the small cycle takes place I will move the remainder of the rock, corals and fish over. Thanks for the advice.

Kalied20
05/21/2007, 03:18 PM
I did the same type of move from a 24 gallon and 20 gallon into a 90 gallon about a year ago. I don't have a lot of SPS corals though. I moved all the sand and rock, (that didn't have corals attached) and about 60% of the water from both tanks. Filled the rest with new saltwater and let run for two days. I never had a bad spike and then moved the rest over on the third day.

I would be a bit more cautious with the SPS corals. They are much more sensitive than the LPS and Softies that I have.

Good Luck and take your time.

IkevinI
05/21/2007, 04:03 PM
Yea, it makes no sense to rush to get it up if the end result would be that my entire tank is dead. I figure it may be more expensive to buy all new sand but the dynamics of setting the new system up will work out a lot better.

ionredline0260
05/21/2007, 04:11 PM
Why not set up a QT for your fish and corals and then do the move?

IkevinI
05/22/2007, 05:30 AM
My old tank will pretty much act as my quarantine. I will be able to grab what rock I need without removing the corals and fish. It will help minimize the stress, especially since I just got done moving my entire old system from Tallahassee to Jacksonville less than a month ago.

It will help minimize my stress, too?

jwinn
05/22/2007, 08:08 AM
I just did the opposite...downgraded and did the same thing...been working fine so far...fingered crossed