PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding tank size

jonewald
05/21/2007, 01:14 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking of setting up a FOWLR tank and would appreciate some input on reccomending a tank size or thoughts on the planned livestock list.

Looking to include the following: Dwarf Lionfish, Blue Tang, Foxface Lo, and an Achilles Tang. Also, I would like to add an angelfish, but haven't decided which species yet. Would a Flame Angel be ok in a tank with the lion? If not, would an Emperor Angel work with this listing?

Any help, thoughts, criticisms are appreciated!

PuffersKick
05/21/2007, 02:06 PM
i recommend getting the largest tank (with proper equipment) that you can afford and have room for. you can never have too big of a tank (especially when it comes to the fish), and it's cheaper and easier to get a good size now rather than going small now and upgrading later (which you will want to if you go small i guarantee you). TRUST ME on that!

PuffersKick
05/21/2007, 02:09 PM
and to answer your question more directly i would go no smaller than a 150 gallon (6' long) tang for the fish you have listed.

and i think that list should get along fine... only one of the angels though.... (and i'd get a flame over and emperor)

justinl
05/21/2007, 02:11 PM
youll need a pretty big tank for that list. like 150gal or more.

i wory about the lion in that kind of setting. despite their label as "aggressive" they really arent. they are a peaceful fish that easily be intimidated enough that they just never come out. especially the dwarfs. they are much less resilient than the larger lions. if you want a lion and you have a large tank you might as well get a volitan. but if you do, the small fish are out... unless you want to lose them as food.

jonewald
05/21/2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the replies PuffersKick! My biggest concern would be that the Flame would be too small with the Lion. Seeing as how the Flame will only get to be 4" while the dwarf lion can hit about 7". Potential snack for the lion or no?

justinl
05/21/2007, 02:37 PM
generally lions will leave stuff alone that are bigger than about half their size. no guarantee though. sometimes lions will go after stuff about two thirds their size and some choke and both fish end up dead. rare but not unheard of.

so to get to your question, its a risk. of course, you probably wont get fish that are that size... it depends on the size of both fish really. I would suggest getting the lion first and letting the lions size dictate what minimum size fish you can have.

jonewald
05/21/2007, 02:55 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks justinl!

DamnPepShrimp
05/22/2007, 08:15 AM
Surprisingly no one mentioned anything about the Achilles tang. They need lots of room because they are very active swimmers. I would recommend bigger then a 150, at least a 180. Also, Achilles tangs need a lot of flow, I've heard 40 or more times over flow, which is insane! And If you get a bigger enough tank and worried the flame will get eaten by the lion, you could get an emperor instead, just make sure he is big enough to not get eaten by the lion when you put them together obviously.