PDA

View Full Version : skimmer issues

ocd_mariner
05/21/2007, 03:52 PM
Ive got an asm g3. I woke up this morning and the collection cup was overflowing. Emptied it out, put it back on, 20 secs later overflowing again. Thats weird, I rarely have to adjust the water level. Ive got the gate valve mod, so I opened it up all the way, 1min 30 secs later overflowing. Im not sure what the deal is? Any ideas?

gflat65
05/21/2007, 04:03 PM
Check the air inlet tubes (usual culprit on venturi's). When was it last cleaned and what did you do to clean it?

ocd_mariner
05/21/2007, 05:25 PM
The air inlet tube is unrestricted. Covering it up causes the water level to go down.

Sad to say, but I have never actually cleaned the body of the skimmer out. I usually just clean the collection cup out. How often do you clean your skimmers out? Method?

Tennsquire
05/21/2007, 05:45 PM
Have you used any additives lately? I know that Polyfilters make my skimmer overflow for quite some time (so much so that I have to turn them off for a bit).

Angela Short
05/21/2007, 06:14 PM
If you used a lot of epoxy that can make the skimmer go nuts but I wouldn't think that bad.

ocd_mariner
05/21/2007, 06:42 PM
Hmm, I did use a little epoxy, but no more than I ever have used without seeing this kind of reaction. No other additives have been added recently.

Im headed out on vacation thursday, I think this is murphy just letting me know he's around.

gflat65
05/21/2007, 07:09 PM
You might want to run it without a skimmer. It shouldn't hurt anything for a week. If the air tubes are clean (first check), I'd clean the pump with a nice vinegar/water bath and a trusty toothbrush. I clean mine at least once a week-primarily the collection cup and riser tube, but if the part that doesn't detach has build up, I'll wipe it down with a paper towel, too. I don't clean the pump as often as I should, but I usually get a vinegar and water mix and scrub with a toothbrush while rinsing.

fishdoc11
05/22/2007, 07:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9986179#post9986179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ocd_mariner
Ive got an asm g3. I woke up this morning and the collection cup was overflowing. Emptied it out, put it back on, 20 secs later overflowing again. Thats weird, I rarely have to adjust the water level. Ive got the gate valve mod, so I opened it up all the way, 1min 30 secs later overflowing. Im not sure what the deal is? Any ideas?

FWIW skimmers, all kinds, just seem to do that from time to time. I'm sure everyone who has been reefing for any time has had it happen without figuring out exactly what caused it. IMO that is the big drawback to skimmers like needlewheels that you can't use an autoshutoff collection container on, especially if they are run externally. If it were me I would run it but I would just turn the water level way down when you are on vacation. That way you still have the benifits of aeration and get some skimming action with buildup inside the tube. Running the tank without a skimmer for a week shouldn't hurt either.
Chris

Angela Short
05/22/2007, 11:43 AM
I have had my skimmer off for almost 2 weeks doing some mods on it (I have ASM G2 or 3, not sure!). Yes, I am very slow and a little lazt getting things done ;). I am sure everything is a little less happy but don't look it visiably. The tank looks same as always to me. Good new is I got my enkamat today for the mesh mod on my needlewheel and it rocks! I already installed it and it puts out a ton more tiny bubbles. I am doing every mod on my skimmer to keep from having to buy one rated for my tank!