PDA

View Full Version : Wear and Tear on a 3 yr old Stand??

jschottenfeld
05/21/2007, 06:50 PM
I am in the process of designing a stand and canopy for my new 125G reef setup. My current stand on my 55G was custom made from block core panels with Formica laminated on the outside. Non-formica interior panels were treated to 3 thorough coats of urethane.

After 10 years it all has held together remarkably well. Wipe the salt off periodically and it looks almost good as new.

For my 125G I want to build something a little nicer using hardwood veneered plywood with solid hardwood applied mouldings. My question is how will these solid hardwood pieces react over the years with the accidental spills that occur when "playing" with the tank. Would 3 or 4 coats of carefully applied urethane be all that is needed.

I plan on laminating Formica to all interior surfaces, (inside of canopy and under tank inside stand).

I've seen some great works of craftsmanship on this site with carpenters constructing stands and canopies. I want to know how these pieces of furniture have stood up to the harsh abuse of salt water after, lets say 3 or 4 years?

Does anyone have some pictures of their slightly useds stands or canopies? This might give some insight for future designs.