PDA

View Full Version : Crab in Bird's nest??? Good or Bad?

scottwhitson
05/21/2007, 07:22 PM
Hello all,

I just purchased a bird's nest from our LFS and noticed that there is a crab living in it (I haven't put the frag into the tank yet). The crab is red with white circles all over his body. I can't get a good look at his pinchers but am concerned if this could be an evil killing crab? Anyone have any ideas I am off to check Melevs site for an ID as well but anyone with info please help!!

davefan13
05/21/2007, 07:30 PM
if you see him picking at the coral, you should remove him. If not, and you want to keep him, you could just keep a close eye on him, but remember it will be hard to remove after getting it into your tank.

scottwhitson
05/21/2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah if he ever got off of the coral he would be about impossible to get out of the tank maybe I will try to get him off and put him in the sump.

scottwhitson
05/21/2007, 07:45 PM
I think that this is the beast any one have any experiences??

http://www.stephenwong.com/gallery/Crustaceans/Crab_Coral_Crab_01_Trapezia_rufopunctata

steve the plumb
05/21/2007, 07:49 PM
you can try the sps forum someone there might help you

dpearly88
05/21/2007, 07:54 PM
I have a red and blue crab that looks much like the one shown on your link. It moves about the three colonies of Pocillopora that I have in my tank. All parties evolved seem happy. I wouldn't worry about it.

rssjsb
05/21/2007, 08:15 PM
Better yet, post in the invert forum. I bet Leslie can tell you what it is. If it's a commensal crab, you may kill it if you take it off the coral it's living in.

AquaReeferMan
05/21/2007, 09:28 PM
IME the crabs that are smooth and not hairy do more good than bad in SPS. If it is hairy and dark in color remove it.

saltkreep
05/21/2007, 09:54 PM
I had 3 or 4 in a large pocillopora colony for years! No problems. They never left the colony. they do like brine shrimp

Randall_James
05/21/2007, 10:02 PM
just do a google search on Commensal crabs, neat hitchikers and can be left alone

scottwhitson
05/21/2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the info I am going to try him out. The LFS has had that frag in their tank for about 2 months and he has never left that coral so hope for the best. Someone in the SPS forum said that it was probably a Commensal crab as well. Thanks again for the info.

LeslieH
05/22/2007, 12:39 AM
If it's really Trapezia rufopunctata you lucked out. As people have suggested it's one of the beneficial commensal coral crabs. These keep their host corals clean of silt & debris & defend them from would-be predators. Some filter feed, eat coral mucus, and perhaps some flesh from coral as well but the amount lost is minimal in comparison to the increased growth the corals experience.

davocean
05/22/2007, 09:14 AM
I wonder how many people actually looked at your pic.
Usually it's either the typical smooth commensal(great to have) or the hairy one(bad guy)
I have never seen yours b4
Looks really cool, hope it's beneficial, and other than really unusual color it does have the look of commensal.
That could be a real nice score.

saltkreep
05/28/2007, 06:09 AM
It just depends! I had an emerald crab destroy an sps colony.:mad2:

Icefire
05/28/2007, 06:18 AM
Probably some kind of "acro crab"