PDA

View Full Version : Serial connection problems.

cato
05/21/2007, 10:35 PM
I've had my AC Jr hooked up to my system for months with no problems. Everything worked great until...I hook up the serial connection to my pc in another room. I had to get a 10 foot serial extension to reach it. I did it Friday night and ever since I'm having problems with things turning on and off at times they're not supposed to (lights, fans, etc...). Any ideas?? Could it be I need the ground serial connection??

clp
05/22/2007, 06:34 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the serial connection. Most likley a configuration problem. Please call when you are in front of the controller, and I'll help you diagnose the problem.

Curt

cato
05/22/2007, 08:15 PM
OK thanks Curt.

Funny I came home from work today, fired up my pc at around 7pm. Next I double clicked the Aquanotes lite icon to start up the program then clicked on status-reeftank and as it came up on the screen my lights went out and my cooling fans went on. Then about 20 sec later the fans shut off and my lights came back on. Weird I tell ya. :lol:

cato
05/22/2007, 09:01 PM
Just did it again! huh.

NeveSSL
05/26/2007, 02:46 PM
Let us know your resolution to this. :)

Brandon

cato
06/09/2007, 09:08 AM
I still haven't gotten around to calling Curt yet. ( I will). But for the heck of it last night I unplugged the serial connection from the controller just to see what would happen. Aside from the controller going haywire everytime I log on to Aquanotes I've been experiencing pH swings during the night as low as 7.45. Lately daytime pH high is barely hitting 8. All other things aside this morning I went and plugged in the serial connection to the controller and my pH reading went from 8.11 down to 7.91 almost immediately. My temp also jumped up a degree, fans came on/off/on/off as did all my lights. ( running a series of 8 T5's on 3 different ballasts/time sequences). For all I know my PC could be screwed up. After all it is a Dell.

What I do know is that the AC works excellent w/out the serial connection hooked up and def goes haywire when it's plugged in.

BTW I downloaded the data logs to my pc to see how my pH was every hour over last night and it never dropped below 8.02. I simply can't trust the readings I get when it's hooked up to the serial connection and my PC. So Curt I will be giving you a call soon buddy. Your not by chance avail on Sat are you? Thanks all.

clp
06/11/2007, 12:02 PM
You have a ground loop. If you are going to have the serial cable permanently connected between your controller & PC, then you need to install an isolator (part # SERIPC9).

Curt

atvdave
06/11/2007, 03:49 PM
Like curt said. You need a ground loop isolator to stop the PH (low) readings. Your PH will read about .4 or more lower with out it.

Also you said in your first post that you had to get a 10' extension for your serial cable. Make sure that it has the same pin # configuration as the the Aquacontroler.

Just something else to check.

cato
06/11/2007, 07:22 PM
OK, thanks guys.