PDA

View Full Version : suggestion for pictures/thread on larvae???

Tsunami
05/22/2007, 07:54 AM
I was wondering if there is a current thread (which I couldn't find) that contains pictures of larvae at different stages of growth for some of the more popular fish people are trying to breed?
I know some have posted their own pictures in individual threads, but would it be helpful for those starting out to have some reference pictures of healthy (even non-healthy larvae- described as such) to see if they are feeding enough, signs of overfeeding, markings that are natural vs. dangers, etc. in one concise thread for individual types of fish? Don't know if it's worth it, just thought I'd throw it out there.
I know I have always appreciated pictures others have posted, just sometimes it takes a lot of searching to find a good reference.

Tsunami
05/24/2007, 08:47 AM
dumb idea?

mako56
05/24/2007, 09:50 AM
Hey Tsunami

I had thread about a year ago thay had all kinds of pic of baby clowns but ny photo bucket got to full and the thread was old and I deleted most of them. I wish people didn't do that because it take so much away from the old threads but I did it to so what can I say. I brought some back and have more if you want.

Heres the eggs.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/mako56/EggDays2.jpg

Heres one from a few days old.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/mako56/IMG_08621.jpg

And heres on from 11 days old.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/mako56/Day1111.jpg

Like I said I have more if you want. I might be able to find some better focused ones.

"Umm, fish?"
05/24/2007, 09:26 PM
Sorry, wrong post.

benjavan
05/27/2007, 05:58 PM
Very cool pictures, what kind of camera did you use?

Tsunami
05/27/2007, 06:14 PM
yeah, the picture quality is great! Also interested in that type of camera you are using. I can only get fuzzy blobs.
Thanks for posting.
What type of clown(looks like maroon)?

mako56
05/27/2007, 08:06 PM
LOL Thanks but I wish they were good I will try and find some I have that are more in focus. I have a Canon 20D with a 100 macro lens. The camera is awesome its just the operator that doesn't know what he is doing.:lol: You got it they are maroons I raised a few batches but couldn't sell them so I quit nobody wants maroons I still have six left and I have been giving them away.

watergator
05/28/2007, 12:03 PM
Can you post a picture of your larvae tank with a view of the airstone. I would like to see the flow-rate of the air. Also, if you have any suggestions on feeding. I was going to add one cup of rotifers twice per day. Water changes twice per day too. Thanks

Tsunami
05/28/2007, 06:51 PM
It is recommended that the air flow be adjusted so that the bubbles are just breaking the surface of the water. You do not want a lot of movement as this can damage the larvae.
A 10% water change a day should suffice.
Keep an eye on the amonia level.
You can scrape bottom of tank with old credit card and syphon junk out and also use a turkey baster for additional removal of waste on bottom of tank.
There is a good thread under clownfish and anemones entitled "clown spawn" that's worth checking out.