PDA

View Full Version : My Heater is JUNK...how about yours?

UnderCoverDork
05/22/2007, 11:48 AM
So, i go home for lunch, test my temp in the 20g. It reads 86!
I look at my heater, and IT'S ON still! I have the little dial on the top set at 75 and it is heating my water at 86..this is a huge problem. I have turned the heater off and ran a mini fan and dumped a bit of cool top-off in.

my question to you, What is the best heater you can buy?

Thanks RC !

Tim K the UnderCoverDork

MusMusculus
05/22/2007, 12:15 PM
All aquarium heaters are junk. Every last one. Get a controller like the ranco. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13967&N=2004+113767

Edit: I should mention that I use visitherm stealths and set them a few degrees higher than the controller. That way the internal thermostat works as an emergency backup to the ranco.

A cheaper but less effective method is to use a pair of small heaters--if one sticks on (most popular failure) it will not heat the tank very fast.

pikachusalad
05/22/2007, 12:33 PM
I have heard these Jager ones are good - I have two of the 150W ones for my 75gal. I have nothing to compare them to, but they have not stuck on yet, and they can hold the tank at a steady temperature no prob (if I didn't run the lights).

The thermostats don't agree, but once set they're fine. In the instructions it shows how to adjust with an accurate thermometer (I have three thermometers, and none agree, speaking of junk).

I got them because it says "completely waterproof, submersible heaters" - though they come with a line that says don't submerge past this line...which you're apparently supposed to ignore.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_heaters_ebo-jager.asp?CartId=

So...that doesn't answer your question about the best, but it does answer "how about yours"

rrrrob
05/22/2007, 12:50 PM
I love the one I've been using for 5 or 6 years...it's a Pro Heat Titanium. It keeps the temperature pretty steady and you adjust the temp from a controller at the power plug. It's been very reliable so far and I did a fair amount of research on it back when I bought it. Might be obsolete by now, but mine is still working fine.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_heaters_won_brothers_pro-heat_titanium.asp?CartId=

pikachusalad
05/22/2007, 01:09 PM
the one rrrob has is the other one I was looking at at the time I got mine - kinda wish I'd gotten that one now.

UnderCoverDork
05/22/2007, 01:12 PM
Awesome!
rrrob, i was looking into thoes. That is my best hoice for now.

Any other suggestions?

ddm_aet
05/22/2007, 01:20 PM
I just had a won titanium heater fail on me the other day, it stayed on and raised the temperature to 88 degrees.

Then on another tank about a month ago I had a won titanium heater with the digital readout fail on me in the on position.

I'm also in the market for reliable heaters.

aquarius77
05/22/2007, 02:07 PM
I have been using my won bros titanium for about 6 months and i love it, how long was it before it went bad on you?

alan214
05/22/2007, 02:16 PM
I kinda agree with MusMusculus, they're all basically destined to fail. The only question is how. All you can do is to design your system around the expectation that your heater will fail at some point

r0bin
05/22/2007, 02:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9992426#post9992426 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rrrrob
I love the one I've been using for 5 or 6 years...it's a Pro Heat Titanium. It keeps the temperature pretty steady and you adjust the temp from a controller at the power plug. It's been very reliable so far and I did a fair amount of research on it back when I bought it. Might be obsolete by now, but mine is still working fine.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_heaters_won_brothers_pro-heat_titanium.asp?CartId=

Do they make these large enough to go in a 75 or do you have to get 2? Looks like they only go up to 100 watts? I am glad you guys posted this I was just about to start a heater thread about the same info. I have a renacal 300 w, but what I don't like it, is my temp varys more that 2 degrees between day and night. I have heard thats not good. I might be dumb but I totally dont understand that chart on that web page, lol.

UnderCoverDork
05/22/2007, 04:42 PM
it looks like now i will be in the market for 2 small heater instead of one. This seems like a good idea. Not too sure about the titanium anymore..
I was reading this book today and it mentioned something that i was NOT doing that i now realize is important...Having the heater placement near the bottom of the tank, right above the substrate..guess it is common sense..warm water rises like air.

Has anyone had a heater that has worked for longer than 3 yr let's say?

Nano Chris
05/22/2007, 04:54 PM
I use the Ebo Jagar works good, I'm buying a ACPRO soon hopefully.

rrrrob
05/24/2007, 09:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9992995#post9992995 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by r0bin
Do they make these large enough to go in a 75 or do you have to get 2? Looks like they only go up to 100 watts? I am glad you guys posted this I was just about to start a heater thread about the same info. I have a renacal 300 w, but what I don't like it, is my temp varys more that 2 degrees between day and night. I have heard thats not good. I might be dumb but I totally dont understand that chart on that web page, lol.

ROBIN:

It looks like you need something around 147 watts, assuming you keep your tank temp at 80F and your house is on average around 70F (10 degree difference between tank temp and room temp). They do have larger sizes elsewhere, ie:

http://www.fishsupply.com/shhwb-13200.html

These heaters seem a LOT cheaper than they did a few years back (assuming my memory is correct)....