PDA

View Full Version : coral compatibility

jacksonpt
05/22/2007, 12:32 PM
Is there any kind of chart or general guide that shows coral compatibility?

I've got a pretty small tank (12g) with a few rapidly spreading corals (zoos, xenia, toadstools, hairy mushrooms, GSP). For the most part I'm fine with them spreading, but I'm curioius what's going to happen when my GSP encouter one of my toadstools as this should be happening in the next couple of weeks.

Basically, I want to try to place corals so they they 'control' each others growth somewhat. Seems like my xenia and my toadstool get along pretty well, but nothing much likes my hairy mushroom (which my maroon clown has recently taken to).

drbronx
05/22/2007, 07:29 PM
Its interesting to observe how corals fight it out with each other in their competition for survival. In a larger tank I like to let them do their own thing and see what happens. in a smaller environment, I would recommend playing a more active role in managing growth to prevent allelopathic (chemical/toxin) warfare. Regarding the GSP, my observation is that they will grow over whatever is in their path. Therefore it is wise to keep them contained. personally, i don't let bthem get established on the rockwork where they can become harder to control. You can use bone cutters or an equivalent tool to cut them back off the rock. I would also suggest keeping up with regular carbon changes to help- assure that you are minimizing toxic compounds in the water column in such a confined environment.