PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep Ventralis Anthias

MarineGirl411
05/22/2007, 02:23 PM
Hi everyone,
I was recently told I could keep 2 Bartlett's Anthias. They are pretty, but I like Pseudanthias ventralis Anthias best. I'd like to know if I could keep 2 of them as well? Please let me know. Thank you very much.

ezcompany
05/22/2007, 06:09 PM
in a 40 breeder? and a bm skimmer? why not~

MarineGirl411
05/22/2007, 08:48 PM
I just heard that should have a bigger tank. =( If I could though, that would be great. LFS said that they might not get enough to eat. Although I don't think they know what kind of system I have. I'd love to though.

brian is cool
05/28/2007, 08:30 AM
well i have had my anthias in my 20 gal. for a little under a year now and he seems very comfortable

E30 E T A
05/28/2007, 11:20 AM
I've heard that Sunset Anthias can be kept in 40g's

DarkXerox
05/28/2007, 01:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9993006#post9993006 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MarineGirl411
Hi everyone,
I was recently told I could keep 2 Bartlett's Anthias. They are pretty, but I like Pseudanthias ventralis Anthias best. I'd like to know if I could keep 2 of them as well? Please let me know. Thank you very much.

I kept 2 Bartlett's in my 29 for about 9 months then the male developed an eye infection and died, but I still have 1 and it's doing great. When I had my 55g I kept a pair for a couple years and they did fine until I switched to the 90g then one didn't survive the move. But they can be kept in pairs, contrary to some of the other species.

They like to be fed a lot--small amounts multiple times a day. I'd say that if there is a lot of room in your tank and you have a good skimmer, it should be fine.

The problem with ventralis anthias are that they are pretty delicate compared to Bartlett's. Scott Michael says that they are difficult to acclimate to high lighting of aquaria (guaranteed with an SPS tank) since they are a deepwater species. However they are one of the smallest species.

just dave
05/28/2007, 10:51 PM
I've had a trio in a 45 for some time now and they are doing fine.
They are not a fish that will be out and about like some of the other fairy basslets.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/59396ventralis_3.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/59396ventralis_2.jpg

MarineGirl411
05/29/2007, 01:00 AM
Hey Dave! Where did you pick those up at? When I get a bigger tank and with more experience, I MIGHT try them. Not right now though. I decided against it. LFS ordered in 12 and out of the 12 only 2 survived. =( Those were in his main display. He has tons of years of experience too, so I didn't want to chance it. Maybe in the future. Beautiful though Dave. Just beautiful. I think those are the most beautiful Anthias. :::sigh. I am going with Bartlett's. Do you think a trio would be alright for my tank? I'm going to upgrade, but just wanted to know if they would be fine in my 40 breeder? Total water volume is 65 gallons. My Bubblemaster 150 is also very good. I do not slack on water changes either. I'm very picky. Please let me know. LFS said 2, but I think 2 would put a lot of stress on the one that would turn out to be the female. So I thought if there were 2 females it would be best. 1 male and 2 females total. LMK. Thank you all.