PDA

View Full Version : Can i keep a mandarin?

jfingers8
05/22/2007, 05:07 PM
I have a 90 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. I have a little mini fuge going on in my sump. I have a bowl with a little bit of cheato and a couple of pieces of rubble rock. I have about 95 lbs. of live rock. For fish i have 3 green chromis, 2 tru perc clownfish, algae blenny, yellow watchman goby, purple firefish, flame angel, royal gramma and a foxface. Remember my fuge is just a little bowl but its still something. Would i be able to keep a mandarin without a problem or no?

snorvich
05/22/2007, 05:49 PM
Should be ok as long as your tank has been established for a while, e.g. six months. But your bioload is pretty high for that size tank.

AMF
05/23/2007, 04:10 PM
I would say 8months to a year before you get a Mandarin and if you are real lucky with time he will eat food ......Mine loves Formula one pellets ....he and my Lawnmower Blenny share them :)

snappedbigfoot
05/23/2007, 05:44 PM
make sure your pods are real up and can stay up. otherwise he most likely will waste away

george1532
05/23/2007, 06:33 PM
how long has your tank been up for, they need to have a tank with a lot of copepods so that the copepod have time to repopulate themselves thus the mandarin doesnt eat all the copepods then starve.

jaugermeister
05/24/2007, 06:08 AM
I have seen them eat cyclopleeze in the water column, make sure you have a powerhead running when you feed so they think its alive. I have seen this work in many different tanks in my area, however it does help to have a healthy population of pods in your tank to supplement it's diet.

mike89t
05/24/2007, 02:56 PM
I've had my mandarin in my 150 for about 4 months now. he is constant hunting for pods. I never saw him eat anything I added to my tank until recently. Now I see him going after enriched brine shrimp all the time. He is starting to get nice and fat.

I also have a fuge with Chaeto so that may help.

hanas
05/24/2007, 08:01 PM
You have enough live rock to support a lot of pods, it's just a matter of how long your tank has been up and running. I would wait at least 6-10 months to ensure a decent population.

crazyguy34834
05/25/2007, 12:58 AM
I have never seen mine eat either but I have had her for for at least a month and she is still alive. I have 120lb of live rock and the tank is at least 7 months old. Kust to make sure she survives I am going to start feeding the tank live brine shrimp, she should like that.