PDA

View Full Version : Modifying 55 gal. into a 30 Gal. Nano

MikeL152123
05/22/2007, 11:08 PM
I have decided to convert my 55 gal. tank into a 30 gal. nano tank. I was going to set it up as the 55 again but it will be cheaper for me to modify it so i can use what i have and won't have to buy an overflow, pump and sump. So i am going to buy some glass and and build the sump into the tank. I have a protein skimmer and am going to buy a UV Power Head to help with the unwanted algea and disease. I have drawn up my plan on auto cad but i have two seperate ideas. One is to just have the powerhead move the water around the sump. My second idea is to have it set up so that the water must go through the power head before it gets to the skimmer and then from the skimmer back into the main display. I have a 48" 2x65W Power Compact light fixture. I have a drawing of how i want to set it up but i'm not sure if it will post. Please let me know what you think and give me any input or suggestions you may have. Thanks all.

MikeL152123
05/23/2007, 04:05 PM
Anyone????? Give me something, ideas.....suggestions...... anything please!!

reefman13
05/23/2007, 04:48 PM
My advice- Sell the 55 and the light. And go out and buy a 29g and a 20g sump and stand. Set it up that way. You are going to have a lot of trouble with your current idea for a setup. Not meaning to be negative;) Its constructive criticism:D

MikeL152123
05/23/2007, 07:37 PM
I think that would be much more expensive. what would the current troubles your talking about. and thanx for the suggestion.

reefman13
05/23/2007, 07:58 PM
First off, do you want the people who view your tank looking at the sump at the same time?

You can get a Oceanic 33 gallon cube with stand hood and light for $200. Or you can do a regular 30g by AGA for $40 and the stand for ~$150 and a 20L sump for $30- all those prices are for brand new items. In the end from what it sounds like you are going to end up spending way more on that 55g than if you were to do the suggested setup. The lighting for a tank like this can range from $160 to $260 depending on what you want to keep. Having a sump right next to the show tank isn't good either because if you happen to be taking the skimmer cup off to clean it and it happens to spill into the main aquarium you will probably kill most things.

MikeL152123
05/23/2007, 09:32 PM
i was planning on getting some tint from walmart or something for that side of the tank. i am really just setting it up to establish some good corals and some healthy fish untill i get a bigger tank. I'll probably keep the tank in my finished basement. and i'll be getting a bigger tank within a couple years. your idea sounds good and i have been torn between the two for months now. I was going to get a jbj nano tank probably a 24 gallon but i'm not sure about them and how well they work. pluss i would have to modify the lighting. How do the oceanic's work as far as filtering and keeping quality water parameters?