PDA

View Full Version : Kalk reactor or Calcium reactor ???

sfilingeri
05/23/2007, 08:20 AM
Hello everybody.................

Can somebody explain to me the difference between a Kalk reactor or Calcium reactor?? or point me to a link??

I am getting ready to set up my tank again due to an unfortunate accident and want to research as much as I can before I start.

If I understand correctly a KALK reactor will also maintain PH? does a CALC reactor do the same? any pics of your equpment will be appreciated :D :D

I am guessing a ballpark budget of around $400 is what I will have to spend?? or should I plan for more?? (hopefully less...
LOL)

hansmatt
05/23/2007, 08:59 AM
Here is my simple understanding...go to the chem forum for much more detail...
Kalk raises ph, and is often used with top-off water. It does not provide Calcium but ALK, which is equally necessary for coral growth, so you will still dose with Ca. Calcium reactors work by adding CO2 to the water & dissolving a calcium containing media. This usually lowers the pH when dripped. Many still add Kalk or buffers containing ALK to then increase the pH, and provide the optimal levels of Ca and ALK.
I hope those of you with better understanding chime in and ammend my description.

LobsterOfJustice
05/23/2007, 09:19 AM
A kalk reactor is tied to your topoff. It is filled with kalk powder, and your topoff water is pumped slowly through this reactor. Kalkwasser has an extremely high pH, and will dose your tank with calcium and alkalinity. The drawbacks here are that your dosing is tied to (and thus limited by) your evaporation and topoff.

A calcium reactor takes water out of your tank and mixes it with CO2, which lowers the pH. This water is sent through a chamber with crushed coral media, which slowly dissolves the media. This water is now high is Ca and Alk, but somewhat low in pH.

For $400 you will not get the "best of the best" (I spent over $700 on my Ca reactor), but you can certianly get something.

starmanres
05/23/2007, 09:35 AM
The difference is pretty radical.

A Calcium Reactor uses CO2 to melt a Media much like the sand that we use in the tank. This puts more calcium into the water that is used by most corals and some beneficial algae (i.e. Coralline). The thought is also that many of the buffed nutrients (i.e. Magnesium) are replaced in this process. It is also thought that using a Calcium Reactor will slow the process of "melting" your sand bed as well.

In raising the Calcium, the result is a low PH water that usually causes reefers with Calcium Reactors to either Buff their PH or drip Kalkwasser.

A Kalkwasser Reactor is a recycling pump attached to a reservoir that has Kalkwasser or Pickling Lime mixed with RO water that is used as replacement for evaporated water. It drips High PH water into the tank to stabilize the affect that the Calcium Reactor is having.

I'm sure Randy has a link that will give you all the scientific formulae behind the process but at least this will help you understand the what's and why's.

As for your budget, a good Calcium Reactor with CO2 Tank and Regulator will be at least $400 and may go twice that if you want duel chambers. There are plenty of DIY options on RC depending on how handy you are. :p

HTH

Sk8r
05/23/2007, 09:39 AM
I just got a kalk reactor for my 54g, and couldn't get the alk up at first, then added mg for 3x the desired cal level, and bingo, alk 8.4 and cal 420, with no other additions. I don't know how well this is going to feed a 54g full of corals, but a calcium reactor is a bit pricier, [you have to buy a C02 tank, plus rig for that] and bigger [extra tank], and I decided to chance it with just the kalk reactor, which is just one plain large cylinder. Some people with huge coral-dense tanks use both kalk and calcium reactors.

But at our size, sfilingeri, it's kind of a wait-see. For me, so far so good after nearly 3 weeks. My lfs [the owner is a good reefer] sold me a big bottle of magnesium [cheaper in the larger size] and said once things start growing, I'll need it. So it looks as if, with the kalk reactor, you get greater cal/alk stability, which the corals notice first, at the expense of having to dose mg now and again.

On the other hand, Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime, at 5.00 or less per pound, will last a tank of 50g about 3 months, and if I can give up pouring Kent Turbo Cal and DKH buffer into this tank, the reactor may ultimately pay for itself, give or take the mg. Plus it's now been 3 weeks with no additives---not to mention the test kits I'm not using up hand over fist.

sfilingeri
05/23/2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks to everybody who replied..........................

sfilingeri
05/23/2007, 10:05 AM
starmanres......... so for a calk reactor its the actual "reactor" and a CO2 "cylinder"??

If so th

sfilingeri
05/23/2007, 10:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9998454#post9998454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
I just got a kalk reactor for my 54g, and couldn't get the alk up at first, then added mg for 3x the desired cal level, and bingo, alk 8.4 and cal 420, with no other additions. I don't know how well this is going to feed a 54g full of corals, but a calcium reactor is a bit pricier, [you have to buy a C02 tank, plus rig for that] and bigger [extra tank], and I decided to chance it with just the kalk reactor, which is just one plain large cylinder. Some people with huge coral-dense tanks use both kalk and calcium reactors.

But at our size, sfilingeri, it's kind of a wait-see. For me, so far so good after nearly 3 weeks. My lfs [the owner is a good reefer] sold me a big bottle of magnesium [cheaper in the larger size] and said once things start growing, I'll need it. So it looks as if, with the kalk reactor, you get greater cal/alk stability, which the corals notice first, at the expense of having to dose mg now and again.

On the other hand, Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime, at 5.00 or less per pound, will last a tank of 50g about 3 months, and if I can give up pouring Kent Turbo Cal and DKH buffer into this tank, the reactor may ultimately pay for itself, give or take the mg. Plus it's now been 3 weeks with no additives---not to mention the test kits I'm not using up hand over fist.

How does your KALK reactor go to your sump/display?? by gravity??

sfilingeri
05/23/2007, 10:25 AM
Hehe.................look what I found...............

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php