PDA

View Full Version : aiptasia help

g8rorchid
05/23/2007, 11:10 AM
Ok, so I know that aiptasia isnt technically a fish disease, but I figured this was the closest area for my question. I have/had aiptasia and got some peppermint shrimp and they got rid of the "flowers"/pods, which I was very happy about. However, I still have some string like growths that they have yet to eat. Perhaps they just won't as the main parts of the aiptasia have been gone for a few days. What should I do? Buy Joe's juice? use lemon juice? remove it manually? I'm scared that it will attach to other rocks and corals and re-form again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

weez1959
05/23/2007, 01:54 PM
My favorite is a paste make of water and Kalk powder and carefully squirt some near the mouth as if you were feeding it. Works for me! Use a pretty big syringe, I went to the drug store and explained myself to the pharmacist and she was happy to comply. Ask for the biggest needle available. Also if the aiptasia is big enough and doesn't retract, you can also inject the stuff into the stalk. This works even better.

g8rorchid
05/23/2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks for your reply, but there isnt a stalk or a mouth....the peppermint shrimp got rid of that part. There are just strings, that look like rubber band consistency, that go from the rock of origin to other rocks and sand. Is this aiptasia? I'm guessing it is, but maybe I am wrong? Please help!

weez1959
05/24/2007, 04:47 AM
Can you take a pic?
Are you sure these aren't tube works of some kind? They usually let out some long stringy buggers and leave them out sort of like a fishing net and then they reel them in when they've caught enough particles...

g8rorchid
05/25/2007, 09:34 AM
I went to one of my LFS yesterday and explained what I had and he told me that he thinks they are a kind of worm(i can't remember what kind). He said to touch them and if they retract then its a worm. Well, when I got home I tapped and swoosh in they went. He told me that this worm isnt harmful at all, that they actually clean up debris that is around them. Is he talking about tube worms then? Aesthetically speaking I do not like them. How do I get rid of them? Does their benefit outweigh the looks?

Thanks!

weez1959
05/25/2007, 10:05 AM
That's exactly what I was talking about except I spelled worm wrong! oops! They aren't bad for the tank and it makes for an extra clean up crew...