PDA

View Full Version : Unplanned Move

ws6kid
05/23/2007, 02:19 PM
Hello all, I have bee surfing these boards for over a year now, and I figured it was time to make a thread.

The stand I had my 30g reef on started to come apart. Needless to say, I am moving the tank...now. I built a new stand for it, moved my fish and some corals into a 10gal with a power filter, and put the rest of them in my sump. I couldnt move the tank alone and couldnt find anyone to help fast enough, so I took everything out. 9 months of growing all gone :(

Anyway, I am about to put it back together in the basement and start the pumps.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a different substrate. I have all of my old sand in buckets, it is all very fine. I read somewhere that laying different sizes was good, but I can't seem to find that article. My sand was 4" deep before hand and I wanna make sure I make good choices so that it goes back together better than before.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thank you ahead of time for any input you may have!

Roy G. Biv
05/23/2007, 02:29 PM
I remember seeing that article about what % should be what size. I uses oolite something live sand. Well the reason for the reply is to make sure you rinse the sand if you are going to reuse it. You dont want all that crap stirred up in a new tank.

ws6kid
05/23/2007, 02:31 PM
What is the best way to rinse really fine sand without washing down a drain ? :p