PDA

View Full Version : The final stand ... HA

platax88
05/23/2007, 02:27 PM
I had a pretty bad outbreak of HA a few months a go due to an RO filter that i let go and the top off kreeped up to 43 ppm TDS for god knows how long. In the process of trouble shooting i changed ro membranes and filters, bulbs, installed a phosban reactor, doubled my flow added more chaeto and clean up crew. The problem is now under control exept for a few rocks. I am doing 20% weekly water changes and manually remove the HA but it continues to come back on the same rocks.

My question is if i have low nitrates and no phosphates and i know my top off water is at 0 TDS... what is feeding the algea (which is not much by any means) do you think gradually it will go away on its own? Also, in the past two weeks i am seeing diatom on my sand (brown, rust color) Am i maybe going through a normal bloom? The tank has been set up in this new location for 7 months when i moved .. here are my params

Ph: 8.0 - 8.1 (ac jr.)
Temp: 80 - 80.3 (ac jr)
Alk: 10 Dkh (salifert)
Cal: 400 (Red sea)
Nitrate: 5 ppm (Red Sea)
Phosphates: 0 ppm (red sea)

I am throwing a few conchs in today to help stir and clean the sand bed... Any thoughts?

lpsluver
05/23/2007, 02:40 PM
Any fish? What are you feeding them? Flake food is notorius for contributing to phosphates. Even though you measure 0 phos does not mean you do not have it. It may be getting quickly consumed by the HA. If this is not a source have you changed the DI cartridge recently? It may be exhausted and in need of a replacement. If you do not have one consider adding it after the RO. Have you checked your top-off water for phos? It may be that you are simply adding it to the tank in your top-offs and water changes. Just some thoughts...;)

platax88
05/23/2007, 02:55 PM
Yes i have a di unit with new resin. I have checked the top off and now with the new ro/di filters it reads 0 for phosphates and nitrates ... i did not check it when it was at 43 ppm DTS.

For fish i have in a 125 gallon

5 cromis
1 small blonde naso
1 small powder brown
1 flame angel

I feed lots of nori, and a cube of frozen (misis or formula 2) mixed with cyclopese and garlic every other day

I also have a melon size ball of chaeto and a phosban reactor. I figured between these two any phosphates will be consumed befor HA.

lpsluver
05/23/2007, 04:57 PM
I'm at a loss then.:confused: I'm guessing that now you just keep doing what you're doing and be patient. It would be interesting to see what others have to say.

platax88
05/23/2007, 05:00 PM
yeah thats what i am thinking ... maybe just wait till whatever is left starves out

frederickk
05/24/2007, 03:11 PM
I'm kind in the same boat as you. My filters were done and I waited to long before changing them. Now that it's done I'm still fighting HA but I bought 2 mexican turbo snails to help me reducing the extra that I had in there before I changed my filters.

I Just need to be patient and I'm pretty sure the results will be there.

platax88
05/24/2007, 08:58 PM
how are the snails working for you? i bought a bunch of regular turbo and the hermits masacred them whhen they fell over!!!

Icefire
05/24/2007, 09:53 PM
Is the chaeto growing?

platax88
05/25/2007, 06:02 AM
its healthy, but not really growing

frederickk
05/25/2007, 06:32 PM
My mexican turbo's are doing fine. I don't have any hermits in the tank except for 3 huge Halloween crab.

My snails are doing an awesome job with my HA.