PDA

View Full Version : Caulerpa???

cruzin94066
05/23/2007, 07:36 PM
I have a 90 gallon reef tank and is doing fairly well now. I had a blonde naso tang and a yellow tang die mysteriously. My water parameters are all good and the reef tank has been set up for 2 to 3 months now. All I did different was add a chevron tang and feed the tangs attaching caulerpa to a clip the night before. The next day the Naso Tang and yellow tang were dead. The chevron tang and blue tang are alive and the blue tang is eating voratiously and the chevron tang is just pecking at things for the mean time.

All I could think of is two things. The chevron tang beat the crap out of the naso and yellow tang or the caulerpa I fed them might have killed them. I heard caulera is not a good supplement for veggie type foods and that they maybe toxic to the fish. Plus I don't think the chevron tang beat the crap out of the two dead tangs because he is new and is smaller than the other two. The type of caulerpa I had were the green grape looking kind.

The naso and yellow tang ate readily right before I added the chevron tang.

jer77
05/23/2007, 08:45 PM
Caulerpa connot cause the fish to die. Where did you get it? It may be something that was in it, but I doubt it.

drummereef
05/23/2007, 09:15 PM
I would agree. How big is this tank and how soon after initial setup did you add these fish?

cruzin94066
05/23/2007, 09:27 PM
I have been growing caulerpa for almost a year now. I have been using it to feed my blue tang. The naso and yellow tang were added two and a half months after my setup. Before I added them I made sure I was not going through a nitrate cycle plus almost all my live stock rocks and corals were from a 46 gallon established tank except for the sand. I bought new live sand.

Like I said the naso and yellow tang were eating and swimming before I added the chevron tang. And the tank was cleaned three days before the introduction of the chevron tang. And the tank was topped off the day before with conditioned distilled water.

drummereef
05/23/2007, 09:56 PM
What size tank do you have?

Did you test for ammonia after you added the live rock/sand?

Can you list all your water parameters?