PDA

View Full Version : Doing the laundry

Aquarist007
05/24/2007, 08:00 AM
How does everyone clean their micron filter bags. In my area we run them through the washing machine(as long as we don't get caught by our wivesLOL)
I think that this method causes the bags to absorb a little phosphates. Every time I change it--for two days latter I have increseased algae on the front glass of the tank.

kipher
05/24/2007, 09:16 AM
That and your putting detergent in the tank. You need to clean these without any soap.

Aquarist007
05/24/2007, 11:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10005891#post10005891 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kipher
That and your putting detergent in the tank. You need to clean these without any soap.

No soap added--but it is the family washing machine---could there not be some soap left over from other loads?
There was a guy at a seminar in Buffalo that said you can soak them in bleach too---I don't have the guts to try that one.

Eurogurl
05/24/2007, 11:47 AM
If it is a family washing machine there is a good chance there is bleach in there too.....don't soak it in 100% bleach, i would do about 4 parts water one part bleach, then give it a good rinsing, it will kill all organisms on it. Nothing to be scared of as long as you rinse it good