PDA

View Full Version : Quiet external pump

lageek3000
05/24/2007, 02:18 PM
I have a oceanic 70 gal with a Quiet One 6000 (1500gph) hooked externally to my sump. It has plenty of flow but is loud. Is there an external pump that is quiet, or am I going to have to put the pump in the sump?

jtarmitage
05/24/2007, 02:21 PM
I like the Sequence Snapper, though it may be too much flow for your situation. Look at the Velocity pumps. Very quiet, though heat transfer is a concern.

wolfpack
05/24/2007, 02:26 PM
For the Velocity pumps.... How much heat transfer is compared to a Blueline/Panworld or Iwaki....? Or even a drop in pump like an Ehiem?

Which would have less add of heat? Internal Ehiem, external panworld or the like there are so many, or like a snapper.

I spoke with Sequence, The Dart/Snapper are the same pump only different impeller. I'm told you can throttle back the dart/snapper that will in fact use less energy and prolong the life of the pump. Like a reostat (sp?) You are required to use 2 inch input and need to run the majority of your run with 1.5 inch then reduce down to 3/4. you can put a ball valve on the return to decrease the flow accordingly.

jtarmitage
05/24/2007, 02:35 PM
I have not owned a Velocity, but I have seen one in action, as well as read many threads on them. They run very hot, very hot to the touch. Others suggesting that those pumps are responible for a 1-3 deg temp increase, though I have no exp with that.
Any pump of comparable wattage will add more heat if it is internal over external. That is common sense, as the heat has to go somewhere. The sequence pumps have a fairly large fan, but as the whole pump, fan included is larger than the likes of the panworlds, it is surprising that they are so much quieter. They do require larger plumbing, and the reduced friction may be part of the reason for lower heat.

wolfpack
05/24/2007, 03:07 PM
I know iwaki adds heat to the tank too. My skimmer pump is an iwaki. I know when I shut my skimmer down for a few days the temp dropped about 3 degrees. I'm wondering if there is a valid concern compared to other pumps....??

jtarmitage
05/24/2007, 03:25 PM
Well, I guess it would be a valid concern depending on your system. Without a chiller, it could be a huge problem depending on where you live. The problem is that with a hot running pump, you must use even more electricity to try and correct this problem. I have a chiller, but it is for those rare days when really needed. I prefer to have a cooler running pump, and you can't forget to be sure the stand is ventilated as well. It does no good to have the pump fan dispursing the heat into a virtually sealed stand, that then just heats up the water anyhow! I have been so impressed with my first snapper, that now I use 3, and a wahoo for my skimmer. I use no powerheads and no other pumps. I used to run Mags, until I realized the difference.

Nuuze
05/24/2007, 04:55 PM
Eheims can run internal or external. My 1250 and 1260 are super quiet.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/Nuuze/DSC06857.jpg

jtarmitage
05/24/2007, 04:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, Eheims are superb pumps. One of the best on the market, but without a fan, they will contribute more heat to the water, that's all. Not necessarily bad, it just is what it is, one of the best of the magnetic pumps that can be run internal or external.

mg426
05/24/2007, 05:01 PM
I use a Sequence dart and it is very quiet and moves a lot of water.

wolfpack
05/24/2007, 07:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10008912#post10008912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nuuze
Eheims can run internal or external. My 1250 and 1260 are super quiet.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/Nuuze/DSC06857.jpg

Nice and clean setup you have there.... Very well kept! Good Job!!

DarG
05/24/2007, 08:07 PM
Wolfpack, the Velocity pumps are water cooled. They are cooled by the water that they pump so obviously heat transfer is a concern. Alot of people figure the wattage of a pump equates to the heat transfered. True to some degree but a water cooled pump is going to transfer more heat than most fan cooled pumps with equal power requirment. For fan cooled, one pump drawing 100 watts isn't necessarily going to transfer the same heat as any other 100 watt fan cooled pump. The Pan World/ Blueline / Coralife pumps run pretty cool. In fact, both of mine are just waqrm to the touch. The skimmer pump is just luke warm. The equivalent wattage Little Giant pumps for example run much hotter than the Pan Worlds and transfer more heat. Long way to go to say that wattage isnt the only indicator of heat transfer.

jtarmitage
05/24/2007, 08:29 PM
Well put DarG. It makes you wonder what the real differences in the pumps causes that much of a heat issue!

wolfpack
05/24/2007, 08:34 PM
Got it... But my Iwaki 40RLT. If I disconnect it for 2 or 3 days the temp with drop AT least 3 degrees. Last year sometime I have some sick fish that I was treating the tank for about a week. If I recall after the weeks end the tank was about 4 degrees less without the Iwaki running. I cannot find the watts for this pump, but I think it is around 170'ish. No doubt the iwaki so far has been bullet proof.... But I would love to know how much heat difference would be between the two pumps. I would like to have the benefit of a quiet pump. My tank is in my home office, so the iwaki hummmm is a little annoying.

oct2274
05/24/2007, 08:59 PM
eheim 1262. I run the 1260 external and it is super quite and doesn't pull much for power. Really you should only have 3-5x through your sump.

Ewan
05/24/2007, 09:06 PM
If it's quiet, it's going to transfer heat to the water. It's as easy as that. Pumps that don't make noise rely on the liquid being pumped to transfer heat. Otherwise, they're fan cooled.

That being said, eheims transfer very little heat to the water when run externally, IME.

Some of the smaller panworlds run without a fan. I have a panworld 40PX as a return that flows through my chiller. It's quiet, but the casing is HOT to the touch. I have a panworld 50PXX that runs my closed loop- it's fan cooled, and louder than any pump I've ever owned.

What's the application? You may need to trade off some heat for some silence...

-E.

jtarmitage
05/24/2007, 11:01 PM
Sorry to disagree Ewan, but the sequence pumps are very quiet and much cooler than most other pumps I've seen. I think that the fan used is much larger than most, so it does not need to spin at the higher speeds of others fans, which would then be noisier. The sequence pumpheads and fans are noticeably larger than those of Iwaki's, panworlds, or the like. I assume that if the Eheims don't transfer much heat if run externally, then they must have better insulation between the pump and the impeller.

old95er
05/25/2007, 06:37 AM
I have two Titianium pumps on a 50. A T1 and a T3. The tank stays at 79 without the lights on in a 70degree ambient room.

They are dead silent. Running for years with no problem.

lageek3000
05/25/2007, 07:05 AM
Did velocity go out of business?

DarG
05/25/2007, 07:50 AM
I have a Pan World 150PS and a Blueline 4oHD which is a Pan World equivalent. Both Pressure rated. The 55HD is around 1100 GPH (170 watts) and the 40HD 790 GPH (120 watts). Both are warm to the touch, not hot. The 55HD is warmer of the two but you could place your hand on it and leave it there indefinitely and not come close to burning it. The 40HD is just luke warm. Compare these to equivalent Little Giants for example and they are much quieter and run much cooler. My Chiller ran nearly 20% shorter cycle just by replacing those Little Giant pumps with the Pan Worlds. The Wattage was comparable between the two pumps.

Ewan, that Pan World 50 Pxx is non-pressure rated equivalent of the 150 PS which I own. It draws less power, by almost half I think, than my pressure rated version. Maybe there is a problem with yours? Or maybe it is running hotter and louder than it should because it is running more of a pressure situation than it is rated for? I don't know but at 170 watts, the 150 PS is drawing more power for the same flow rate as your 50 PXX (at 0 head) and mine runs warm, not hot, and is not loud at all. It's dead silent compared to a little giant pump for example. It's not silent but it isnt what anyone would call "loud" either.

wolfpack
05/25/2007, 08:04 AM
One of my local shops has BlueLine/PW pumps on many of his tanks. There is so much noise in the shop it is hard to get a good guage on the quietness of those pumps. I hear alot of folks say they run cooler and quieter than an Iwaki. I have been a little reserved about spending the money to try them. I would like to have silent or as close as possible. My equipment is all in my stand below my tank in my home office. So I would like to reduce all the hummmmm as possible. I know my Iwaki is what I would consider pretty loud. That is my reasoning to find other options.

noodles9987
05/25/2007, 08:31 AM
I was running a panworld 150 ps (pressure rated 1170 gph pump) @ 170 watts for the last 10 months. I decided last week to install the 200 ps. This new pump runs 1750 gph @ 280 watts.

I was surprised at the difference in noise levels between the 2 pumps. The 150 ps was loud at first, but after about a week it became much quieter and I was happy with the noise level. I was surprised when I installed the new pump and the noise level was actually reduced by about 1/3. I.E., the new pump is quiter than the old one.

As for heat, neither of the 2 panworlds contributed much in the way of heat. You could leave your hand on either one all day without any issues.

Iwaki's on the other hand......I have an iwaki 30md. I believe it puts out about 510 gph. I stopped using it some time ago, because the thing runsi about as hot as a metal halide bulb. I only use now for quick water transfers.

I also have an eheim 1260 and 1262 that I ran up until the time that I put all of my equipment in my basement. The eheims are great pumps in my opinion. If I could still use them, I would.