PDA

View Full Version : Marble/Hortulanus Wrasse (Halichoeres hortulanus)

dcombs44
05/25/2007, 10:44 AM
Does anyone have experience with this species? Is it difficult to feed? Foster and Smith rate it at expert only, I just wanted some input about these guys.

TheMcs
05/25/2007, 11:49 AM
Never kept that species, but have kept several other Halichoeres wrasses. I absolutely love them in a reef tank, never have a problem with pests. I would recommend that if you have ornamental shrimp that you keep the wrasse well fed.
From my time in the LFS biz I saw that this genus can be horrible shippers, many coming in with bacterial infections. Once acclimated though, they're very hardy. I'd say the 1st week is what's critical. Definitely need a sandbed in which to bury, which it might do for the 1st couple days after being introduced.
This is one fish I'd have a very hard time buying without seeing first. Need to find a specimen that is actively searching and eats with typical wrasse-like voracity.

dcombs44
05/25/2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the input. I know some Halichoeres are more difficult than others, but I have a flatworm problem that I'm "hoping" to solve, and I love wrasses. I had a 6 line that was a great fish (RIP carpet surfed), and would love to have another in my reef.

frederickk
05/25/2007, 06:47 PM
Was your 6 line eating those flatworms?

dcombs44
05/26/2007, 07:54 PM
I didn't have any at the time i had the 6 line, so I'll say if i did he was, but I don't think that any were introduced into my system until after I had the 6 line.