PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Acrylic Question

reefrubble
05/25/2007, 02:43 PM
What kind of power buffer can you use on an acrylic tank , that wont leave swirls ? The buffers they use on cars all seem to leave swirls in the finish. When the light hits it at the right angle , it looks like crap . Ted

reefrubble
05/25/2007, 06:54 PM
Are there not any acrylic pros in this forum ?

Randall_James
05/25/2007, 07:04 PM
If you can polish a car, you can polish acrylic. A standard automotive buffer will work fine (I use the $100 Black and decker buffer motors). The trick is learning to polish without burning. I use a product called "Liquid Ebony" that is designed to put the "Wet" look on paint. Works wonders on acrylic as well.

Get some practice on scrap stuff to start is all :)

reefrubble
05/25/2007, 07:12 PM
Randall_James , Thanks for the information . Where can I get this Liquid Ebony ? Thanks again Ted

JohnstonAtoll
05/25/2007, 07:38 PM
No doubt car polish will work but if you wanted acrylic polish there is a brand called Novus available at local plastics suppliers as well as online. Can use either an automotive buffer or a polishing wheel for drills

RandyStacyE
05/25/2007, 07:56 PM
I know this is just a tad off topic ... do ya think car polish would buff my Ipod? :)

Seriously ... it's not gashed or anything, but my clear protective film fell off and I neglected to replace it and it's showing signs of scuffing. I always wondered if a polish like that would work.

Randall_James
05/25/2007, 08:06 PM
We used this product to restore lightbars on squad cars and emergency vehicles. (used to own detail shops)

The issue you might find with your ipod is that the plastic is too thin and will overheat to quickly while buffing.

allstar.h2o
05/25/2007, 08:27 PM
I used Novus with good results on my cell phone screen, headlight covers, and my watch too.

RandyStacyE
05/25/2007, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't do that 'mechanically' ... I meant by hand polishing. I once read that 'Brasso' or something like that would work, but I have no clue.

RONCGIZMO
05/25/2007, 08:45 PM
That Novus works great...I use it one my rear window of my car as well as any other plastic type thing, been using it for years

RandyStacyE
05/25/2007, 09:05 PM
Novus ... ... I'll have to look into that stuff. I was actually thinking of taking the Ipod to a jewlers to see if thay could restore it. It's not bad,

It may sound silly, but it's not when you have a music library of almost 60 GB! It's insane.

reefrubble
05/25/2007, 09:07 PM
Is it best to buff by hand , or use a machine ?

JohnstonAtoll
05/25/2007, 10:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10017149#post10017149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefrubble
Is it best to buff by hand , or use a machine ?

That depends on the extent of the scratch. If just a light haze, use a microfiber cloth with Novus #1, it'll look new again. Novus has 3 polishes #1 being the lightest. Always start using a cloth, if it isn't getting deep enough, use a buffer lightly.

JohnstonAtoll
05/25/2007, 10:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10016726#post10016726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RandyStacyE
I know this is just a tad off topic ... do ya think car polish would buff my Ipod? :)

Seriously ... it's not gashed or anything, but my clear protective film fell off and I neglected to replace it and it's showing signs of scuffing. I always wondered if a polish like that would work.

This i'm unsure of. I think the ipods plastic is acrylic. If not, its lexan. I have an ipod myself but asside from reading a spec sheet somewhere, the only way I would know to tell if it is acrylic is if you have heard of a chip being broken off from someones. Acrylic will chip and break where as Lexan is extremely flexible and very hard to break. Oddly, Lexan is cheaper.

I build and repair signs. Most sign faces are acrylic.

Randall_James
05/27/2007, 08:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10017149#post10017149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefrubble
Is it best to buff by hand , or use a machine ? depends more on the material you are working on and how much there is too do.

The heavy material that an aquarium is made of will dissipate the heat of mechanical buffing pretty rapidly.

Doing a tank by hand (and I have seen it tried) does not go very well, the heat of the buffer pad actually aids in the polishing process. Like I said though, it takes some practice as to what is "To much" pressure and not enough speed across the material.

If you have a friend that has ever "color sanded" and buffed a car, there is your best resource. :)

Chris Witort
05/27/2007, 06:56 PM
You can use a random orbit sander with a fleece pad and micromesh polish or novus polish. neither will make swirl marks. If swirl marks are seen then the polish grit is too large. Polishing will only remove the lightest of scratches and " polish the surface"