PDA

View Full Version : Coralline Dormancy?

DeepBlueSea
05/25/2007, 06:49 PM
Is it possible for coralline to become dormant when dry and come back to life once the right conditions are met?

I have rock from an aquarium that I broke down over 6 years ago.

almost 8 weeks I ago I added it to a garbage can and started curing it.... 2 weeks ago i put lights over it...

I swear I see a "branching" type of coralline turning pink again and growing again....

Is it possible or is it just playing with my eyes and I'm noticing things that I didn't notice two weeks ago?

Why would they be pink when everything else is still stark white?

pledosophy
05/25/2007, 11:46 PM
The calcium would still be present no?

DeepBlueSea
05/26/2007, 06:07 AM
??^

on3ofak1nd
05/26/2007, 06:17 AM
did you use any cycled water from a display tank to help the curing process? The water itself may have seeded the rock with coralline? I've had pumps covered in coralline which all died off and turned white... I then used some of them in a FO tank w/ unseeded LR and no coralline appeared... maybe you're freakishly lucky?

DeepBlueSea
05/26/2007, 06:48 AM
just two days ago I added a few #'s to seed this tank, but it's only been 3 days and what I'm seeing as possible growth is on the old dead rock...

I seem to remember when I purchased this rock over 9 years ago this was the 1st type of branching coralline that I had.

With regards to your powerhead coralline coverage... i agree with that and that's why the dead rock is stark white. It's just encrusting type coralline calcium left behind when the rock was prevously used... I imaging the seed rock coralline will quickly cover it all.

frederickk
05/26/2007, 09:51 AM
If you already see it grow it should cover your LR fast.