PDA

View Full Version : Liklihood of disease transfer from other livestock (not fish or corals)

lapizzaro
05/26/2007, 07:29 AM
How likely is it to have disease or parasites like ich bug transferred from LR rubble, macro algae such as Gracillaria?

I have never had any type of disease or pest and I would like to keep it that way. All my problems come or identified in my QT process for fish and corals .However I realize the likelihood of this luck continuing is diminishing and I just might have screwed up.

I do not usually QT macro algae, inverts or LR from hobbyists/retail stores ( I do QT LR bought online) – I just don’t know what I should be looking for out of the obvious- but I have learned my lesson.

I bought some LR rubble and Gracillaria from a local retailer to seed my refugiums and realized that I saw a particular type of Tang that is usually prone to ich in the tank with the Gracillaria and LR rubble .The tang did not have ich but I know this store has had bouts of ich before so it got me thinking.

I belive most retailers online or local have had experiences with ich and with most of their tanks being interconnected the parasite could spread everywhere. Usually when I get LR from a hobbyist I usually cycle the rock again but there have been times when I have dumped in LR from a hobbyist I consider as a trusted source.

The refugiums are not online so I could run them fallow for 3-4 weeks but that would be such a pain.

Am I justified in being concerned or am I just panicking unnecessarily?

Thanks