PDA

View Full Version : elegance coral System

dla2000
05/26/2007, 09:30 AM
I'm planning on setting up a tank just to house an elegance Coral.

Now, I had read everythink on the elegance coral that I could find and now I would like to get info. from anyone that had one and that have one alive.

billsreef
05/27/2007, 07:37 AM
It's been a few years since I've kept an elegance, but they were one of those corals that did well back when stringing a bank of NO flourescent lamps was high tech and we weren't being as crazy about keeping nutrients low. I had a number that did well in a 40 long under a bank of 4 40 watt flourescent lamps (URI Actinic Day). Fed them bits of fish and shrimp several times a week and they grew and did well. This was also long before they started having the current issues, so the big trick now days is finding a healthy one to start with.

snorvich
05/27/2007, 12:11 PM
Well the only healthy ones that I know of come out of Australia but finding and purchasing them is not so easy. I think there is a new dip on the market (Live Aquaria may be able to help you on the name) that theoretically solves the bacterial infection problem endemic to this coral coming out of jakarta/indonesia.

ThomasinKind
05/27/2007, 03:33 PM
are you doing a biotope display?

dla2000
05/27/2007, 04:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10025548#post10025548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ThomasinKind
are you doing a biotope display?

yes, something like that.

ThomasinKind
05/27/2007, 10:58 PM
There's a small blurb in the book "Reef Secrets" by Fossa and Nilson. It shows an elegance in a "seagrass biotope" at the Waikiki Aquarium. You could contact them and possibly get some help/information if you feel you need more.

Please create a thread once you get it going, I love biotope displays.

sarai826
05/29/2007, 06:47 PM
My elegance (one month after purchase, 1/2006. Year on picture is wrong):
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/jlbristow/1-15-2006%20tank%20shots/elegance.jpg

and now (5/2007):
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/jlbristow/05-2007%20tank%20shots/tankL-052007.jpg

So far, my biggest problem has been the turf war between it and my hammer...
I feed a mix of DT's/cyclopeeze/mysis/brine/brine eggs/oyster eggs/squid/flake food, but don't really direct feed (perhaps once a month or so). I supplement with Bionic and Reef Gold.

LesMartin
05/31/2007, 05:46 AM
The trick is to get a healthy one. Here in the Uk, Tropical Marine Centre are importing allegedly aquacultured elegance which do appear to not suffer from whatever is causing the problems with the infected (?) ones. I don't know if TMC have a presence in the U.S. but if they do then sourcing one from them may be your best chance. I and a couple of friends have TMC elegance purchased when they first became available in December 2006 and so far so good.

rodjer_ramjet
06/05/2007, 10:46 PM
I have had mine for about 10 months I would be aggreeing with the getting a healthy one, I know im in Australia but to add mine has gone through some hard conditions as well, as falling down the back rock wall of my tank for a day, having temp spike over 32 degrees cent not sure what F that is but yeh med to high lighting I have mine on sand they love it on there because the live rock I have found irritates them, oh and I use 150W MH and T5 combo.

Got mine about 4 cm by 2 cm now extends over 10cm they get big when happy.

Ill let you guys know how I go propagating them. But I havent seen any bacterial probs even at the shop i work, too bad for you guys.

mojoreason
06/08/2007, 03:15 PM
the ones i have seen here in the LFS (Southern California) have been pretty expensive as compared to many years ago. but a species-specific elegance coral tank would be tight.

jade2122
06/09/2007, 09:38 PM
I have had my elegance for about 5 months now and it is doing great. When first got it put it under power compacts and just recently moved it to larger tank with halides and boy has it grown. It is the size of a small dinner plate now and is hosting my pink skunk clown pair. Will try and post pic soon

Crimthann
06/10/2007, 12:18 PM
Mine did wonderful for about 6-8 months or so then went down hill really fast. I was feeding it daily with a variation of Borneman's coral mix. It was getting really big and then started disintegrating from the sides. As beautiful as it was I wouldn't get another for a while.

tcmfish
06/11/2007, 08:40 AM
there was a guy with a 75 who had a few elegance one took up almost half the tank and he had a bunch of other lps and sps it was a great looking tank. I remember him posting a while back but im not sure where you should try and find it.

tcmfish
06/11/2007, 09:03 AM
here is the tank it is about two thirds the way down two big clams in front and an elegance on each side with a big birds nest. the elegance on the left is huge

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=9904675#post9904675