PDA

View Full Version : Immediate Problem - Need assistance!!


jet_jer
05/26/2007, 12:31 PM
I went down this morning to check my sump (basement) and noticed a SHOCKING experiance when I placed my hand in the water. At first I figured it was a heater but I removed them and still received a shock. I unplugged everything form the sump. I then went upstairs to my tank and tested for a noticable shock there - nothing. So back to the sump. I reset the breaker after EVERYTHING was unplugged and tested the water - nothing. I plugged my Aqua Controller III in with my return pump on and it started to give a charge. I figured it was the pump - so I turned everything off - power cycled the breaker to get rid of the static, then plugged the pump in by itself directly in the outlet and it was fine! I then tested other items direct to the outlets and nothing sent shocks. I then powered up my Aqua Controller III and heard some clicking in my 4HD outlet port - then shocks! So I reset everything again and took out the 4HD from the loop and still was shocked. Taking the Aqua COntroller out of the question is the only way to get rid of shocks!!

Where do I go form here - I have 2 - DC8's and 1 DC4HD.

The strange thing was that even with nothing plugged into the aqua controller it still sent current - only thing I can think is a short in one of the units that compromised the whole circuit that it was plugged into.

Thanks in advance - I'll call Neptune on Monday but wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Jer

RWillieK
05/26/2007, 01:45 PM
Monday is Memorial Day.

jet_jer
05/26/2007, 02:21 PM
Yeah - NEVER MIND :) I figured out the issue - after writing the post I went back down to put stuff back together as much as possible and found that the current was still there - after breaking out the Voltmeter I discovered that the current was coming form a short in one of my Korilia 4 units.

Jer

Bri Guy
05/26/2007, 08:47 PM
So correct me if im wrong, but, your korilia 4 in the show tank upstairs had a short, and you got shocked downstairs in your sump!!!

I didn't think the electrical current would run down plumbing!!

Im shocked... well your shocked :)

GFCI!!!!!

bri

RWillieK
05/26/2007, 08:50 PM
It sure could run down the plumbing - salt water is a great electrical conductor......there is a perfect column of water from the sump to the display - the return line. The overflow (to the sump) is often broken up with air, making a less suitable conductor.

Robbie