PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Tree dropping branches

Dave VG
05/26/2007, 01:13 PM
The Kenya Tree I got from Nate has dropped a branch and looks to possibly drop more soon. I thought I read somewhere that this is how new trees are started. If this is the case should I frag it? If not what is wrong with it and what can I do to fix it?

Dave

t-bone2
05/26/2007, 01:38 PM
thats how it starts new one so frag away

nwrogers
05/26/2007, 02:03 PM
It is fine. This is how kenya trees frag themselves and is a sign of good health as far as I know. Cool stuff :)

Dave VG
05/26/2007, 02:21 PM
That’s excellent thanks Nate for the frag and the frag lol. I will glue it to a stone now. Superglue right and not on the main rock work? I have pieces of live rock I can use.

Thanks
Dave

drbronx
05/26/2007, 04:12 PM
You don't even have to bother gluing it. They'll attach themselves. But a word to the wise, don't let them get out of control. They can multiply like weeds and become unsightly and even provide some toxins into the water column. They are of limited commercial value so at some point you might have to get used to the idea of discarding unwanted frags. Its actually a good nutrient transport system. i am always chucking xeniids and kenya trees..

Dave VG
05/26/2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the advice Jerry. I will keep a close eye on them. I could tell they were pretty much disposable by the way people were trying to give them away at the end of the frag swap at P&C. Being completely new to corals and having a standard single tube light I was very apprehensive to take one. They do add to a barren tank tho. I did buy some zoas from mox and a purple mushroom from Piazzon12 at the frag meet per yours and a couple of other people’s advice that they would do ok with that lighting. And that’s it, they did ok. But sense I got my new light (T-5s) they seem to be doing remarkably better. I have sense purchased the trees and some more zoas from Nate. He gave the same advice to me. All are looking very healthy so far. I guess my system is in fairly good condition. I intend to start dosing for SPS and maybe LPS in the future. Sorry got carried away.

Thanks
Dave

fatrip
06/01/2007, 06:36 PM
is mine droping or is this part dieing lol...it looks funny and i dont know what is happening...here is a picture

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/147045tree-coral-med.jpg

Piazzon12
06/01/2007, 08:13 PM
nope just dropping. A good sign.

fatrip
06/01/2007, 08:36 PM
so when they close up and turn that purplish color they are getting ready to drop??

Piazzon12
06/02/2007, 07:40 AM
yes, when it is just one branch. The whole coral will do that when it's disturbed. You can usually see an area where the branch is starting to separate. The new piece gets a "mind of it's own" and doesn't react when the rest of the coral does.

fatrip
06/02/2007, 07:51 AM
cool thanks adam