PDA

View Full Version : Advice on setup with sump/quarrantine.....

jfolley67
05/26/2007, 08:27 PM
Hi everyone. we are building our stand for the back closet where the sump will be on the bottom shelf of the stand and then over this will be a double decker shelf where the quarrantine will sit.
Let me try to describe....
The stand is 5 feet in length....by 2 feet 3 inches. The way my closet is , it is under steps, so the back of the closet ceiling begins to slope down. I wanted to put the quarrantine at the end of the back of the closet top shelf (sump on bottom and tank gonna be on other side of the wall)....I bought my quarrantine used and it has an overflow, but the overflow is in a corner and will be on the front side of the tank....does this really matter if it is in front or not, since it is just a quarrantine in the closet? Otherwise gotta figure out to change it to other side of stand nearer to the door......the quarrantine is a 40 gallon....acrylic bought a while back...

fishdoc11
05/26/2007, 09:52 PM
It shouldn't matter where the overflow is located as far as function. Hard to tell without a pic/diagram though.....you aren't tying the QT into your main system are you?

jfolley67
05/27/2007, 07:47 AM
we were thinking about tying it in BUT having a turn off to it to redirect if we are using it.....so that way we would have more water volume on a regular basis, HOWEVER I think we may just keep it separated since I do have a small sump and all for it. What is your opinion on this?

gflat65
05/27/2007, 08:31 AM
I'd keep it a separate system. We know very little about a lot of the pests coming in these days, so the fewer potential ways past our efforts, the better. You never know how long a given pest may stay in the system in some form, only to populate the display when you open flow back up through the QT.

jfolley67
05/27/2007, 09:18 AM
THANKS, I thought about that actually. we made our stand an extra foot long so that the quarrantine sump would sit next to, on the end, of the sump on the shelf below, very easy to keep separate system. things are coming along. Electrician got done a couple of days ago. We put lots of plugs in and 2 of the sets of plugs run on a different circuit AND if we lose power, this circuit runs down to the basement, to a plug that comes out of the wall and directly to the generator, so that our generator running runs the tank upstairs with no wires though the house, totally cool! I have most equipment except for return pump and still deciding on lights......i think we are going to go with the solaris or aquaillumination. We got the room painted yesterday with marine/oil based paint.....it is coming along!!

fishdoc11
05/27/2007, 11:38 AM
Definatelty agree to keep it seperate. If you were planning a frag tank connected would be the way to go IMO.
Chris

crumbletop
05/27/2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I agree. Keep the QT totally separate.

You guys are going to have a way cool setup. That closet right behind the display is going to be awesome.

jfolley67
05/27/2007, 07:16 PM
you should see it, it looks too cool already.....almost done with the stand...gone all day and back to working on it now...I love all the plug options in the closet. Seems like it is taking forever, but I am in no rush....but as we are moving forward now finally putting it together I am getting more excited about getting it done....will take some pictures tomorrow once the tank stand inside the closet is complete and let everyone see what we did.....so far, so good....