PDA

View Full Version : Can PC ballast be rewired for T5?

evoracer
05/27/2007, 10:03 AM
Particularly Coralife EZ Double Ballast ES00938 for 2-96W?

evoracer
05/27/2007, 05:42 PM
So, no?

aninjaatemyshoe
05/27/2007, 05:52 PM
Some people say it works... I have my doubts. It isn't properly matched in terms of the output it drives them. The 2x 96W ballast would theoretically overdrive 2 48" T5 bulbs. Now, will the bulbs suffer in terms of lifespan? Definately. The question is how much life will it take off the bulbs. Only one way to find out. Personally, I wouldn't bother as you can get a decent enough T5 ballast for $45:
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1370

Considering that 2 T5 bulbs cost about $45 with shipping, if the same price for a ballast is too much then I don't know if you want to risk attempting this on the bulbs.

evoracer
05/27/2007, 07:50 PM
True, I just already had the ballasts. You know how that goes. I will just have to use them over a gracilaria grow out tank or something.

snulma1
05/27/2007, 08:25 PM
I thought that E-ballasts only fire at the bulbs designation, not the ballast, the rated wattage is the max!

horkn
05/27/2007, 10:00 PM
you know, the workhorse ballasts are intant start, and I was told by practically everyone that theywould prematurely wear out t5ho bulbs.

well, I proved that wrong.

in over 2 years (27 months IIRC) my original 3 t5ho bulbs run by a w5 ballast barely had any signs off hard start (rings) on hte ends when i replaced them.

try the coralife PC ballasts out on t5ho. I dont think anyone has tried, correct me if i am wrong, since i have barely been on RC for the last 5 months or so

aninjaatemyshoe
05/28/2007, 07:04 AM
"I thought that E-ballasts only fire at the bulbs designation, not the ballast, the rated wattage is the max!"

Not exactly. While it may be true for a given family of bulbs, say such as T5 HO, it isn't really the case when you are talking about changing from the type of bulb the ballast is designed to another bulb type. E-ballasts are specifically designed to run the bulbs at a certain voltage and current levels. It often works that you can use a bulb type on a ballast not designed for it, but there is always a change in output/performance. A good example is using the Icecap ballasts for T5s. They're designed to run higher output VHOs, and accordingly they drive the T5 bulbs at a higher wattage/output. In this case, this works quite well. However, that's the Icecap ballast. Who knows how the coralife PC ballast will work on T5s without trying it? The only thing one can give is an educated guess.

ThrowedToad
12/21/2010, 11:36 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20091026223708/http://geocities.com/teeley2/overdrv1.html

I intend on running a coralife 130W pc ballast that I now have leftover due to my recent upgrade to a 90 gallon tank. I would like to see it run 2 36w t5ho lamps, and my leftover two 48W t5ho ballasts to run 2 t5ho lamps. I will post my results.