PDA

View Full Version : Ca going down after large doses and water change?

danieljames
05/27/2007, 10:18 AM
I'm dealing with an aquarium of 130 gallons that has been set up for almost 15 years. It is very lightly stocked.. two small gorgs, couple grandis polyps, a few inches of M. digitata and a royal gramma.

On 5/24 my Ca tested at 175 (brand new seachem reefstatus Ca test), Alk tested out at 160 ppm (New lamotte reagents), and my ph at around 8.2 with a new seachem kit.) I added 8 fluid oz of the Ca portion of a two part recipe, and 8 tsp of Seachem dry Reef Advantage Ca.

On 5/25 i retested for Ca and it had gone down to 150. Added 25 tsp. dry Reef Advantage Ca.

On 5/26 did a 25% water change with Reefcrystals and R/o water (2 tds), and added another 25 tsp. Reef Advantage Ca.

Tested Ca a few minutes ago with above mentioned kit and it is telling me 50 ppm Ca. Any idea's what could be going on?

Boomer
05/27/2007, 10:45 AM
It may be a bad kit. Make up a liter or gal of RC and no not add anything and see what it reads. Also, that test kit has a calcium std with it, so test the kit with the std and see what it reads. You for sure have a testing error/ bad kit.

danieljames
05/27/2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah...i'm an idiot. I got it boomer, thanks man. The scale runs in reverse of dispensing on this kit. It's exactly the opposite on my alk kit, and that's what i was using. Time for some water changes...

waterman78
05/27/2007, 10:57 AM
DanielJames: Do you have a test for Magnesium? The only reason why I ask is because another major factor in stabilizing a-Calcium is the Mg-Magnesium. Without the proper amount Mg... your Ca and Alk level will either plunge or sky-rocket. Over time some trace elements in the tank get used up rapidly and other just seem to accumulate.

IMO the only missing link in this chemistry experiment is MAGNESIUM. (Espon Salt - magnesium sulfate) or magflakes - from what I've seen. I have used the KENT Marine's Tech-M product without any issues. Salifert's Magnesium test kit is a fairly simple test to use. Good luck with your chemical balance issue.

THIS WAS MY WAKE UP CALL...I have issues with all three this morning. Calcium-Alkalinity-and Magnesium. Oh I almost forgot, pH was rather low. With a helpful addition of Magnesium, Alk and Calcium...the reef is back being safe.

Larry

waterman78
05/27/2007, 10:59 AM
Okay...problem found. Good job Boomer!!!

danieljames
05/27/2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks larry...turns out i'm just not a very good at reading instructions.

Billybeau1
05/27/2007, 03:48 PM
Don't worry Daniel, we've all been there. :lol:

Humble Pie huh ? Like "30 days in the hole" ?

I'm showing my age. :D

danieljames
05/28/2007, 07:37 AM
Yeah billy....seems i eat more and more of it as i get older. Just doesn't seem right some how....lol