PDA

View Full Version : Need info on sea horse tank

loves saltwater
05/27/2007, 12:34 PM
I have a 29 gal tank that I am setting up today because my wants to have sea horses. I would like an advice you may have on putting up a sea horse and what fish I can have in the tank with sea horse. Thanks

zma21
05/27/2007, 12:47 PM
I suggest that you keep seahorses as a species only tank......meaning seahorses only, with the exeption of maybe a couple pipefish.

In my experience, seahorses like layered rock, higher tanks, and ledges to grab on with their tail. They don't like to be blasted around with too much flow, and they are slow swimmers. That is the main reason that they don't go well with fish; the fish out compete the seahorse for food, and the seahorse will likely starve.

Good luck!

loves saltwater
05/27/2007, 01:04 PM
I did know about it should be only sea horses I just wanted to know if there was any fish that would be compatible(non aggressive) type. My plan is to have a few soft corals in there also.

t5Nitro
05/27/2007, 03:34 PM
Soft corals should be good with seahorse. SPS and clams are a no. You want maybe 5-7 times turnover rate in the tank. You will want the filters maybe covered with those foam gaurds if you have filters that take in water in the tank. You should have something for them to grab, like branch LR would probably be good or just something else that doesn't have to be rock. Seahorse like verticle swimming a lot.

For fish, I would go with some non aggresive and non fast moving fish. Clown gobies are definately safe with seahorse. Bottom dwelling fish in general should be safe with them along with firefish. Put some chaeto in with seahorses. The seahorse will go looking in the chaeto for pods. I would go with 72-74 degrees for tank water, as this is better for them. In a 29 gallon, go for 2 seahorses only.

Try to get seahorses that are from a reputable breeder and are already eating frozen mysis/brine shrimp.