PDA

View Full Version : where to place chiller?

dodgersfan25
05/27/2007, 02:30 PM
so i have the option to place my chiller either inside the house or in the nearby garage, but im wondering which one is better? both have pros and cons:

inside - can draw in cooler air to chill, BUT releases heat into the house

outside - hotter air to draw in (temps get to over 100 degrees outside), BUT releases heat away from the tank

so what is recommended?

thanks

hatfielj
05/27/2007, 05:33 PM
Inside would chill more efficiently, but would cause heat and noise. Outside you would be sacraficing efficiency, but would have no heat in the house and no noise either. However, if you put it outside make sure it is powerful enough to handle your tanks heat load in a hot environment.

dodgersfan25
05/27/2007, 07:01 PM
well it isnt that strong, so i guess inside it is

jeffbrig
05/27/2007, 10:21 PM
I recommend putting it outside whenever possible.

If it's inside, you're paying twice to cool the water. First time to cool the tank water. Then you pay again for your AC to remove the heat the chiller puts into the house.

achillesheel
05/28/2007, 12:18 AM
i agree with jeff. i just move my chiller outside of my house because the heat from the chiller raised the ambient temp in my garage at least 10-15*. that means that the temp doesnt need to be lowered that extra 10-15*. im able to keep 600 gallons of water at 79-80 with a 1/2hp chiller. thats with 1300w of mh over my display

dodgersfan25
05/28/2007, 03:24 AM
hmmmm, makes sense when you put it that way. the double chilling

washingtond
05/28/2007, 07:41 AM
I live in the Dallas area and the temps during the summer are 100 plus and at least 115 in the garage where I just place my 1/3 HP chiller. We will see if this was the right thing to do when it really starts getting hot here. I did not want it inside for the reasons stated in the above threads.

Joshua1023
05/28/2007, 07:53 AM
I think if you wanted the best of both worlds, you could place the chiller inside and plumb the exhaust through the wall into the garage or ouside via a drier vent. I don't think it would take that much effort as long as your just dealing w/ drywall. No basement?

washingtond
05/28/2007, 03:34 PM
Now that's a thought.

jeffbrig
05/28/2007, 03:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10028957#post10028957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Joshua1023
I think if you wanted the best of both worlds, you could place the chiller inside and plumb the exhaust through the wall into the garage or ouside via a drier vent.

Keep in mind, this could significantly reduce airflow through the chiller if the house is sealed tight (defeating the benefit of cooler temperatures). Or, if the house is drafty, every cubic foot of air pushed through the chiller equals a cubic foot of 100 degree outdoor air pulled in elsewhere (increasing A/C load). The benefits may be less than you think.

DarG
05/28/2007, 04:18 PM
There is a reason why the chiller manufacturers state maximum ambient temperature in which their chiller is designed to operate. It's generally 90 - 95 degrees if memory serves. Efficiency will go down the drain beyond those temps, and some components may exceed their maximum operating temperatures.
Just dropping the ambient temperature in my fish room by a few degrees by installing a louvered door in place of a solid door with vents decreased the on time of my chiller signifigantly.

washingtond
05/28/2007, 05:11 PM
I cannot find any ambient temperature specs on the JBJ Chiller. The only thing they state is to keep at least a one foot clearance in the front and back. I have seen the 90 -95 specs on other chillers.