PDA

View Full Version : tank is melting

mduvall219
05/27/2007, 08:00 PM
well don't know what the problem is, but since i got the new refugium in and running my tank is bleaching. don't know what could be the cause. so far i have lost my orange cap, green cap, the other caps don't look too good. one acro for sure the other is bleaching. another acro is fully open(don't think that is good either) leather won't open, hammer not happy, lt plate coral not happy, frogspawn not happy.

shall i go on? no i can't. i have checked everything. nothing alarming other than a little low on calcium. oh yeah my acan enchinta is melting away...
any suggestions

i just hope it isn't all the chlorine i have been smelling in the shower lately.
anyway right now this hobby sucks

yeah i use ro/di
my refugium broke 2 weeks ago so i bought another tank and put in the baffles, and i don't know what happend in that process, but obviously something.
i still do the same things. i did notice when i hooked everything back up, i did have a little voltage in the water. i unplugged what was causing the voltage. i started seeing problems on wednesday, and now my one acro is almost completely gone. should i take it out?

oh one more thing..........my calcium reactor media ph must have gotten too low, when i hooked back up it made my tank cloudy. could that have anything to do with it? should i change out the media?
ph 8.2
calcium 350 (a little low)
dkh 9
phos 0
no3 0
salinity 1.025-6

TIMMYE
05/27/2007, 09:06 PM
What did you use to put in the baffels in the new fuge? Caulk? If so what kind? was it kitchen and bath? If it was that could be the problem, as that has a mildew growth inhibitor in it. I would also check for chlorine since you are smelling it. What is you TDS at? These would be the first things that come to mind. HTH

Jay4Robin
05/27/2007, 09:13 PM
oh one more thing..........my calcium reactor media ph must have gotten too low, when i hooked back up it made my tank cloudy. could that have anything to do with it? should i change out the media?

You could have shocked the corals with a major PH swing. Do some water changes and keep an eye on everything. If it still looks bad I would run some carbon.

deep6er
05/27/2007, 11:11 PM
I have had something like that happen to me with my Kalk reactor. To much kalk was pushed into my tank due to a faulty float valve. I lost a few corals and alot of them got this white film on them.
Did a few water changes and a few weeks later may tank was back to normal. Still trying to get the color back on some of the corals.

mduvall219
05/28/2007, 06:06 AM
should i put some of the corals in a bucket for a couple days to get them in new water?
i used an acrylic glue that was next to the acrylic at home depot

jjjimmy
05/28/2007, 07:58 AM
Was the tank you bought new or used? If it was used was it run with copper?

mduvall219
05/28/2007, 01:07 PM
it was a new tank

mduvall219
05/29/2007, 06:17 AM
well i think i found the problem today...
got ready to do water change and top-off
my ph was 9.8 :eek1:

anyway why would the ph be so high?
is it chlorine in the water?
anyway thanks for everyones responses

reverendmaynard
05/29/2007, 07:15 AM
9.8 is not possible, IMO. How are you testing?

samsfishnchips
05/29/2007, 07:22 AM
mduvall219,

you talk about top off water right?, then the Ph can be anything thing, since the water doesn't have any buffers, that Ph reading is meaning less

what type of sealant you used for the baffles?

sam

mduvall219
05/29/2007, 08:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10034961#post10034961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reverendmaynard
9.8 is not possible, IMO. How are you testing?

my ph monitor

mduvall219
05/29/2007, 08:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10034982#post10034982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by samsfishnchips
mduvall219,

you talk about top off water right?, then the Ph can be anything thing, since the water doesn't have any buffers, that Ph reading is meaning less

what type of sealant you used for the baffles?

sam
what do you mean?
not sure of the brand of sealant, whatever home depot has by the acrylic

samsfishnchips
05/29/2007, 08:50 AM
mduvall219,

you must make sure you used reef safe sealant, get the brand name and a picture so we can find out if its safe

if it has anti mildew or any other bad chemicals, that might be the problem :(

sam