PDA

View Full Version : String Hair Algie

ssparker
05/27/2007, 08:30 PM
Hello I just wanted to know what might be causing my algie problem. I bought the tank from a friend it is 125 gallon with probley around 150 to 200 lbs of live rock and he had algie problems the hole time he had it. I have no nitrite or phosphate in my tank i use RO water my lightning is the 72" orbit with the 4 light hook up and i have replaced the ballest with sunpaq 120v and i use Sunpaq brand lights i have 2 96watt dual dalylight and 2 96watt dual actinic the dalylight run at 10000k and 6700k and the actinic run at 420nm and 460nm. I dont know what to do to fix this problem, I run my lights from 3pm till 11pm the actinic come on at 3 and the daylight come on at 4 and they both stay on till 10 and the daylight go off and then at 11 the actinic go off. I run a 25 watt uv light all the time and my skimmer runs all the time the skimmer i have a seaclone 100. I dont know if the daylight lights are to bright i was talking to my friend about changing the lights to fix this problem i was thinking about changing the daylight lights to a 50 50 light one with the daylight and actinic light in it so i would have 2 96watt actinic and 2 96watt 50 50 light would this help or make things worse. Im new to all this i have only had the tank for about 4 months now so any help on how to fix this problem would really be appreciated. Thanks.

kingfisher62
05/27/2007, 09:54 PM
Check your phosphates.
Pick up a foxface , I just got one and my 55g tank has been cleaned of bubble and hair algae in 3 days.

salty3
05/27/2007, 10:00 PM
Phos and nitrate sometime wont show up when you have a algae prob because the algae eats it up before you can test it. Check your ro water and keep up with regular water changes dont over feed and feed frozen. Flakes and pellets can leach phos into your tank.