PDA

View Full Version : I am moving my tank, any tips?

ocean.mirage
05/27/2007, 11:14 PM
I am moving in one week. and I need help. The house I am moving to is onlt a half hour drive away. I have a 30Gallon tank. I plan on taking some rock and coral out and putting it into buckets. And then draining half the water into those buckets. Move the tank and set it back up. My question is. Is ther e any type of styrofoam etc I could stuff into my tank to keep that sand, water, etc. from stirring too much on the drive?

I will do a 20% water change immediately once I have it set Back up.

Any other tips?

Thanx.

The good news is I have a top of the line 90 gallon display with in insane system in my new place just waiting to get started.

Der_Iron_Chef
05/27/2007, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't bother keeping much of the old water, honestly. Mix up a fresh batch and make sure the salinity and temperature are on par.

Tang Salad
05/28/2007, 03:49 AM
Don't leave any water in the tank when it's being moved. That's an easy way to bust a seam.

Mirage2521
05/28/2007, 06:23 AM
You are going to get a lot of advice.....lol Keep all the water, toss all the water and so on.....I just moved a 75. I used about 50% old water and the rest new. It worked fine. This is not advice...just telling you what worked for me. This is advice, empty the tank before you try to carry it...sand and all. It's not that much more trouble and it makes life a lot easier and safer.

hansmatt
05/28/2007, 08:00 AM
I moved my 90g 200 miles. Drained it down to the 5" sand bed and it was still 3-400 lbs. I'd probably empty the tank totally to keep from disrupting the sandbed and start it over at the new location. Pain, and costs more money, but disrupting the bed can cause issues. Of course you may have a mini cycle depending on your rock.

Dr. Chek
05/28/2007, 09:10 AM
I will be moving a 37 Gallon, one hour from my current location.
As far as transporting the livestock; what have you all done?
buckets? bags? Can you please provide specifics?
What about pH jumps? did you have any concerns there?
thanks!

gsbobcat
05/28/2007, 07:39 PM
Large beverage cooler w/ tank water in it . May want to add some kind of ammonia control additive.

SirTony76
05/28/2007, 08:40 PM
I just moved my 30 gallon 120 miles. I saved all the water in 5 gallon buckets. I gave each fish its own bucket and left about an inch of water in the bottom of the tank with the substrate. I haven't had any casualties yet.

TP