View Full Version : red sea berlin skimmer

nemesis7
05/28/2007, 08:14 AM
70g generic brand acrylic tank ,15 gallon sump
45 lbs live rock
2 ocelllaris clowns
2 damsels
25 blue leg hermits

got a red sea berlin skimmer from a buddy and cant get the dam thing to skim consistantly, really getting tired of messing with the cheap plastic screw that squeezes the air line hose. is there a way to get this thing to work right. heard people have had problems with them before but never heard of the fix. please help trying to get tank back to its hay day.:confused:

lockus
05/28/2007, 01:07 PM
i run one with a mag7. The key to these skimmers is make sure they stay as clean as possible. I clean mine every week regardless if the collection cup needs it or not. Usually fill 3/4 of the cup every week. More if I stir up or clean the main tank that week.

cwschoon
12/08/2007, 12:36 PM
I have a 60 gal pred tank w. a volitan, dogface puffer, clown and 2 damsels. I have a Prizm delux but am not overly pleased-bubbles and noisy. I have had it for a while and it does do the job but am considering an upgrade. I do need a hang on....That Pet Place is having a sale and I can get a Berlin hang on -23"-w. pump for $ 160.00. Any opinions?? When I was in sales in this industry, I used to be of the opinion that Berlin's were overpriced for their performance. If not the Berlin, any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig

JBrown
12/08/2007, 01:36 PM
the key with those skimmers is to ditch the stock venturi and add one befoe the intake on the mag 7 do that and you should have much better luck

cwschoon
12/08/2007, 01:40 PM
which venturi should I add? What do you think about the hot berlin?