PDA

View Full Version : sun coral help with id

marcus01
05/28/2007, 08:20 AM
i recently received delivery of some corals, one of those being a large mixed colour sun coral. when i took this really large sun coral out of the box my first thought was to split it up as there is lots of different colonies living on what i thought was the same rock..when i looked closer i realised that it was all stuck to a large blackish shell, Its about 7 inches long and about 5 inches wide and about 3 inches deep and quite heavy at this point i decided not to separate it and make more room in my tank for the whole thing..
this was a week ago, i looked at it today and the front of the shell is open and it seems to be blowing little bits out ......

does any body have any ideas.......

p.s. pics soon to follow just charging my camera

marcus01
05/28/2007, 09:13 AM
its at the back of my tank so hard to get to

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/peckman/IMGP0988.jpg
from the front
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/peckman/DSC00059.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/peckman/DSC00060.jpg
hope this helps

Jamokie01
05/28/2007, 11:11 AM
Some kinda bivalve, oyster probably. Your best off removing the corals and getting rid of it because it probably wont survive in your tank, and you dont want something that large dying in your tank.

Hormigaquatica
05/28/2007, 12:43 PM
Yup, Ive got the exact same thing- a cluster of 3 Tubastrea colonies, plus some smaller corals Ive not IDed yet, all growing on the back of a fairly large oyster.

Jamokie01 is right in that its likely to die eventually, unless you can feed it very regularly. I feed my Tubastrea at least once a day, sometimes as many as 3, and I make sure there is a lot of extra 'juice' from the food floating around the oyster. It seems to be doing OK so far (meaning its alive), though its only been a few months. Good luck with it!

kingfisher62
05/28/2007, 06:23 PM
Oooh! time for some Oysters rockerfellow,yummy!
You might actually be able to shuk the oyster be carefull not to break the shell. That is a great colony of sun polyps you got there. Those guys need alot of love and attention from what i have heard. Have they opened for you yet?

mikekman
05/29/2007, 08:46 PM
Awesome group of different sun corals! The bright yellow ones are on my wish list!

Don't frag the suncorals, they look great as a large group like that,. I think if you fed yoru sun corals heavily, that oyster may survive. Awesome feed DTs.

coralmkr
06/01/2007, 09:56 PM
wow, nice group of sun corals.

Jamokie01
06/01/2007, 11:23 PM
Im just saying thats a really large oyster and it will require alot of food to live. Properly feeding it could easily foul your water, feeding it insufficiently would kill it which would also foul your water. Just want you to know the facts.

And agreed, beautiful corals.

reeffreak2007
06/02/2007, 01:08 AM
Very nice sun corals...you have your job cut out for you....lots of regular feeding.

kingfisher62
06/02/2007, 06:34 AM
How about some pics when they are open?