PDA

View Full Version : Which type/companies live rock is the most pest free?

10" Red Devil
05/28/2007, 04:47 PM
Im sure its impossible to get 100% pest free live rock, but I am just wondering if there is a company and or a type of live rock from a certain part of the world that is more pest free then the rest?

The reason I ask is because my live rock is overrun with a type of either algae or hydroid and I am now at the point where I will have to replace it which is a real hardship because I have some corals attached to it that have been in my posession for 4 years.

minimalist
05/28/2007, 04:49 PM
If you're that concerned, buy base rock and seed it with a few prime pieces of LR.

kmf507
05/28/2007, 05:24 PM
I think getting the most "pest free" live rock would be a mixed bag. It would be the rock that is the most organism free, and then, why buy it?

FWIW, I bought Haitian live rock online and would not recommend it. Mostly flat pieces and largely devoid of life. My original live rock basically seeded this for me.

WingnutSr
05/28/2007, 05:28 PM
Finding all the little critters is the best part of new live rock. Not all are are so called pest, and make some really nice additions to the tank.

Mirage2521
05/28/2007, 06:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10031820#post10031820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmf507
I think getting the most "pest free" live rock would be a mixed bag. It would be the rock that is the most organism free, and then, why buy it?

FWIW, I bought Haitian live rock online and would not recommend it. Mostly flat pieces and largely devoid of life. My original live rock basically seeded this for me.

I was very disappointed with my Haitian rock also....totally devoid of life. On the other hand, the new rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater is awsome and after only 5 days is seeding my formerly "dead" live rock.

kfowler
05/28/2007, 06:16 PM
Besides a gorilla crab, my Marshall Island LR was very nice.

10" Red Devil
05/28/2007, 07:13 PM
I just don't want to go through this again. I mean do you know how much it sucks to have to dismantle a 4 year old reef because of a nuisance algae/hydroid?! That is why I am being so careful and concerned.

I guess what is the best way to make sure you do not introduce any pests? Although the pest I have decided to present itself within a year of having the rock and then just gradually took over.

nyvp
05/28/2007, 08:20 PM
if I had to do it all over i'd buy all base then seed with 2 pcs of live

MJAnderson
05/28/2007, 09:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10032887#post10032887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nyvp
if I had to do it all over i'd buy all base then seed with 2 pcs of live

Was thinking the same thing. How long would it take the base rock to become an effective filter? I'm thinking of tearing down my new tank and when setting up my new tank just using base rock and some QTed new LR. My old tank has red turf algae, bubble algae and a few persisitent aptasia that I can't seem to kill.

useskaforevil
05/28/2007, 10:10 PM
my stuff from fosters and smith had pretty much nothing fun on it, just some pods and at least one bristle worm. but at elast none of the crazy algea you guys deal with.

10" Red Devil
05/28/2007, 11:03 PM
The problem is I think maybe this hydroid/algae came in on a coral frag and or snail shell as a spore that would have gone unnoticed.

Thing is the I live by a very large coral seller who has these vats of corals and their is a ton of algae in their systems, hair, bubble, etc you name it and they have it all over their live rock. The thing is they are like the only ones that sell coral around here in Michigan that have a very decent and diverse selection. The other stores have the same problem though anyway. I would not be surprised if I did not get this problem from them. I think I need to change how I get my coral, maybe get it from a online supplier who runs cleaner tanks.

Reefahholic
03/14/2012, 11:26 PM
Any admin's have any thoughts here? Or somebody here with 30,000 posts! lol