PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Yumas ?

CHASDB
05/28/2007, 06:24 PM
I was my LFS and they were saying that there are new restrictions that will take place in '08 that will discontinue Yumas, Brain, Frogspawn, Hammer, Torch corals from being imported from Indonesia. Has anyone else heard of this? Their pricing at this store is going up and just wonder if she was just pulling my leg. :rollface: Their Yumas are beautiful but I should buy groceries and gas too........

chrisstie
05/28/2007, 09:43 PM
I know there's been talks in the government about changing\making some laws in regards to euphyllia but why that would affect ricordia is beyond me.

in the keys there are some pretty tough restrictions already and they are cracking down on the preserved areas but thats the source of ricordia florida.

I don't see why you would have to pay now for what hasn't happened yet, especially for a species thats definitely viable through aquaculture

BristlewormKing
05/29/2007, 05:22 AM
I did a search and could not find any such pending regulations/restrictions. Ya might want to roll up your pant legs the next time you go to that particular shop.

Jimbo327
05/29/2007, 10:44 AM
I think the prices are going higher because of the greater demand. But we are harvesting a great amount of these corals for the hobby, I think it would be a great idea to aquaculture these since it is possible. Because only these restrictions would make aquaculture possible financially for coral farmers. They cannot compete with corals collected in the wild.

CHASDB
05/29/2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the replies, their prices aren't that high as I've been comparing them to some of the online retailers. I picked up some pinks Yumas from them for a $100. I have just never seen some of those nice rainbow Yumas in person and didn't realize how much they were per pollyp.