PDA

View Full Version : Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

guntercb
05/28/2007, 07:07 PM
I am pretty sure that my powder blue tang and flame angle have Amyloodinium Ocellatum. Can they be cured without treatment? If I do not treat them will they die? I know I should really set up a QT and get them out my display tank, but removing these fish is not easy. I will have to take almost all of my live rock out and I hate doing that.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Chris

minimalist
05/28/2007, 07:09 PM
See if you can get 'em to eat out of your net. ;)

guntercb
05/28/2007, 07:18 PM
Hum, I could try.... But I think they are smarter than that.

Anyone know if they are facing a death sentence if they are not removed?

Thanks,
Chris

lecher
05/28/2007, 07:32 PM
If it is velvet, you need to act now. It kills quickly. Move fish to a hospital tank and treat with copper. Maybe even a fresh water/formalin dip on route. Drain the tank to catch the fish if you have to.

specialkb
05/28/2007, 07:34 PM
killed my black clown withen a couple hours. after a fresh/ formalin dip. act fast.

guntercb
05/28/2007, 07:59 PM
Hum...

Just how fast does Amyloodinium ocellatum kill a fish? I first noticed dots on my Powder Blue Tang about 2 weeks ago? So if Amyloodinium ocellatum kills and spread fast. I must not have Amyloodinium ocellatum. I don't think that the white dots are ick though. They are very small. But they have appeared to move to the flame angel. )-:

I just tried to net my fish and I am not winning that battle. I may try to remove all of the rock and get the fish to two qt tanks tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea what these very small white dots could be. And when I say small they are way smaller than salt crystals. They appear to be mainly on the fins of the fish.

Cheers,
Chris

bureau13
05/28/2007, 08:14 PM
Pictures would help, but I'm betting its ich and not velvet. 2 weeks is more than long enough for velvet to finish off a fish.

jds

lecher
05/28/2007, 08:45 PM
Velvet can wipe out a tank in 2-3 days. The sooner you start the treatment the better your odds. It may not be velvet though. Have you tested all your water parameters.

guntercb
05/29/2007, 06:39 AM
Yeah, I agree I need to post some pictures. If I get home tonight before the lights go out I will post some.

It is sounding like it is not Velvet, but the white spots are very small.

I have not tested my water, but I would bet that all water parameters are fine. The tang was in a seperate tank for a while that lost power and I think it got very stressed and I am guess that this parsite "took over" then.

Can ick go dormant in a tank and then appear one day? I had qt all of my fish for 3 weeks or more so if ick can go dormant I am beginning to lean that way.

Anyone tried garlic or other treatments that I can do in my display to treat ich? I will try to post some pictures.

Cheers,
Chris

joeychitwood
05/29/2007, 07:09 AM
This past winter, I lost every fish in my tank over a period of 36 hours because of Marine Velvet. It did not affect any of the corals or inverts. I maintained the tank without fish for four months before I tried adding a fish again. So far, I've got three healthy fish with no recurrence.

guntercb
05/29/2007, 07:26 AM
Joey,

Wow.. 36 hours to kill all of the fish.... I must not have Marine Velvet. Sorry to hear about your loss. That stinks.

Chris

bureau13
05/29/2007, 07:28 AM
Also, as I recall, velvet appears almost like a dusting of flour, more so than individual small specks.

jds

joeychitwood
05/29/2007, 08:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10034998#post10034998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bureau13
Also, as I recall, velvet appears almost like a dusting of flour, more so than individual small specks.

jds That's correct. My fish looked like they were covered with fine dust.

guntercb
05/29/2007, 12:51 PM
My fish have little spicks of white. I would actually say it is ick but it seems too small.