PDA

View Full Version : Makin The Switch To MH

Bmgrocks
05/28/2007, 08:39 PM
Well, I've received a AP 24 150w MH, that i will be takin to college with me...And I will be transferring my 29 into it.

My 29 is lit by 130w PC, and 36w t5's, some 166w, or like 5.7w per gallon, abl to keep SPS and Clams, pretty well

Because I will be making the transfer, besides Coral/Light Acclimation, should I be aware of Any Major Issues with the Corals having been lit by PC's.

Will The Intensity of the MH cause a Proble for my tank
ie Algae Outbreaks or anytin like that.

Joshua1023
05/28/2007, 09:27 PM
There is always a chance of a bloom of algae after any changes in your lighting setup. Usually they don't last too long though. Personally I think that 150 watts of MH is brighter than 150 watts of PC. It depends alot on what spectrum of bulb you'll be using in you MH fixture. The higher the kelvin rating the lower the light intensity is. To be on the safe side acclimate the inhabitants of your tank slowly over a period of weeks by shortening your light cycle or Partially blocking the light w/ Wax Paper or window screening material. You could add several layers of semi translucent material over your tank and remove one layer weekly until you are at full brightness.

This will have the least impact on your tank.

Vygis82
05/28/2007, 09:50 PM
I agree with Joshua

OrangeKoi
05/28/2007, 10:19 PM
I'm thinking of doing the same upgrade. When I looked into it putting wooden blocks in to raise the lights, and then slowly return them to the normal level was an idea I liked.

Bmgrocks
05/29/2007, 06:45 AM
I will be covering the tank with a few layers of Black Screen, over a tleast for 2 maybe 3 weeks, what kinda Algae Bloom should I expect

NanoGurl
05/29/2007, 07:27 AM
Welcome to the bright side! :thumbsup:

ahullsb
05/29/2007, 05:36 PM
When I made the switch I had a green algae bloom for almost two months. Every day when I came home from work I had to scrape every square inch of glass. But it went away eventually. You might want to prepare yourself for the fact that if you have nice purple rocks now, you probably won't after adding the mh. I'm thinking a 150 in a tank that size will be a lot of light. I have two 150's and 4 t5 actinics and coralline only grows in the shade and under sides of rocks in my tank. The screen is a good idea too.

demonsp
05/29/2007, 06:21 PM
I would only use an hour or 2 first few days adding time as days go by. Readjust coral to higher light and help keep algea bloom to a minimum.Also some softies if high may need to be moved lower.

teena
05/29/2007, 06:39 PM
i just switched, i used the screen, 3 layers, only thing ive seen is my sand is a light brown, also the glass,